Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Mooby Reviews 6/13/18

Here be my newest critiques...

Daphne & Velma                                                        OK

I grew up with the Scooby Doo cartoon and still watch some of the animated movies released.  I wasn’t particularly fond of the two live-action movies put out, so why would I care about a live-action origin story focusing on the two chicks of the Mystery Machine gang?  OCD like always!  Why couldn’t they have just made an animated origin story, preferably like the original Scooby Doo, instead of a live-action movie?  I tried viewing it as a corny after school special type movie instead of a modern spinoff and it isn’t as bad as I thought in that regard.  It’s harmless and a decent mystery for the younger crowd familiar with Scooby Doo or not.  As for the older crowd, Scooby Doo fans or not, now or in the past, they’ll likely think it’s a forgettable after school special type movie and/or unnecessary spinoff.  6/8/2018

Delirium                                                                      OK/G

I love Topher Grace.  Kind of.  If you don’t like him at all, don’t even bother with this because he’s the only character for about 75% of the time.  He plays someone being released from a mental institution after 20 years for a reason you’ll find out, and returns to the house he lived in beforehand (not the best idea if bad memories occurred there).  He’s still stuck in the ‘90’s as his music selection and posters will indicate, plus he has no idea what Wikipedia is when mentioned by someone.  He’s on a 30-day probation to see if he can handle being on his own, meaning he can’t leave the house, no one is allowed in except for his caretaker (a rule that’s naturally broken), and he has to answer a phone call and have his picture taken twice a day.  Now, being a movie titled Delirium about someone released from an institution, I took everything with a grain of salt from the get-go.  That’s not necessarily a good thing because I question everything, formulate possible outcomes, and when it’s finally revealed whether it was all imagined or not, I’m not sure how to feel because the ending sometimes makes or breaks a movie like that.  I did enjoy it enough amidst all the second-guessing and the ending wasn’t too disappointing; it wasn’t fresh by a long shot but it was kind of disturbing and made everything come together neatly.  I’ll say check it out, especially if you like Topher Grace as well, just don’t make any predictions and let everything unfold as you watch; it might be a better movie that way.  6/5/2018

Hereditary                                                                   OK/G
I really need to stop looking forward to seeing movies regardless of the buzz.  Not only did this movie have a bunch of hype, but it was praised and written as a feature article in my favorite entertainment source---Rue Morgue magazine.  I do always let myself be the ultimate judge, but when multiple sources including my favorites praise a film, I do get particularly excited.  This film currently has a 91% rating out of 186 critics on Rotten Tomatoes and five out of five stars on All Movie.  Five stars?!!!! Now that’s stretching it.  Is this movie overrated?  Possibly, but it’s not dismissible.  It begins with a family grieving for more than one reason and I actually thought that was the most effective part of the film, containing the same combination of disturbing and depressing like Pet Sematary and the same sense of encroaching dread like The Shining.  Then it begins to introduce conventional horror tropes---séances, possessions, everyone thinks the grieving lady is crazy and delusional, etc.---and that’s where it begins to falter.  The ending does make it all come together in a sense, but it’s almost presented in a silly manner considering how brooding the preceding events were.  It was also slightly derivative reminding me of at least one movie I won’t mention lest I give something away.  It’s also the type of ending that might make the movie better the second time knowing what’s going to happen, and for that I can’t give it a higher rating since the crucial moment arrived too late.  I did think about the film afterwards, so that might be a plus (however you look at it).  6/12/2018

The Hollow:  Season One                                           OK/G
Ten-episode animated series from Netflix, each one barely 24 minutes.  I only got interested once I saw it mentioned on a list of horror titles being released on the streaming service during the month of June.  Horror?  Not quite.  It’s more an adventure story geared towards the young’uns that all ages can enjoy.  Sure, it contains mythological beings and evil entities, but no more menacing than ones in a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Powerpuff Girls episode, or even Disney movies.  In fact, an ice creature in one episode very much resembles the evil ice creature in Disney’s Frozen.  I highly doubt anyone would be frightened by any of this.  It begins with a Saw/Cube type scenario wherein three teenagers wake up in a sealed room with zero recollection of how they ended up there.  I thought I was going to love this series based on that first episode coming off as a mystery possibly going to dark places.  It loses steam during the next couple episodes, completely switching gears from the pilot by attempting a more light-hearted and comical approach.  It does pick back up by the end of the fifth episode and the big reveal, which isn’t that much of a reveal after other clichéd theories have been exhausted by the characters, is hinted at earlier than expected but actually doesn’t ruin the remainder of the series.  It’s generally fun and the animation is obviously modern but not too modern, meaning crappy (of course that’s a generational opinion).  It won’t hurt to check it out if you have about four hours to spare (the beauty of Netflix is the option to binge-watch with no commercials), just get it out of your head that it was labeled horror by Netflix.  6/11/2018

I Kill Giants                                                                 G
Highly metaphorical, yet effective, film about a middle school girl devising imaginative ways to cope with not only bullies, but a much more serious matter.  Based on a comic book of the same title (which I have not read), it reminded me of Where the Wild Things Are, The Iron Giant, and Bridge to Terabithia at times.  The movie alternates between fantastical, depressing, and sappily uplifting while still managing to blend seamlessly.  The creature designs, although CGI, were passable.  I’m not exactly sure who the target audience might be; there’s a bit of bad language for the younger set and many adults might not care for the fantasy elements nor the involvement of mostly young teen girls.  The film isn’t rated either.  Well, I’m an adult male (by age only) and I enjoyed it enough for being an engrossing, if not altogether fresh, coming-of-age tale fused with a fantastical touch (even though I, for one, was hoping they would’ve taken a more darker route).  6/6/2018


The Lodgers                                                                OK/G
I liked this Irish film at first, it involving a brother and sister (twins) cursed to stay at a house away from civilization.  Basically, they own the house during the day and must stay confined in their rooms after midnight when someone or something comes from below the floor.  You do find out who or what they are and I shant ruin it in case you want to watch.  The film is very gothic, in imagery and themes.  I was somewhat reminded of The Others although that is the far superior film.  It gets loopy as fuck towards the conclusion and I’m not entirely certain I interpreted it the right way.  If my theory is correct, the rules pertaining to the curse are both disturbing and quite depressing, but when have curses been particularly beneficial to those affected?  I almost wish they would’ve gone a more straightforward route; the look and setting are perfect for an old-fashioned gothic thriller.  6/1/2018

Safe:  Season One                                                       OK/G

Decent 8-episode British mystery from Netflix starring “Dexter.”  I’ve only ever seen one episode of Dexter but Michael C. Hall will always be recognized for it.  Here, he lives in a gated community where his daughter goes missing after one of her male friends is found dead in a neighbor’s pool.  As always, no one is who they appear to be and everyone has secrets that eventually come bubbling to the surface.  It’s often presented nonlinearly with many flashback sequences, but far too much would’ve been revealed too early had the series been linear.  I’ll admit I didn’t binge-watch at first and almost forced myself to continue, but once I passed the halfway point, I did want to see how it ended.  There’re many characters to keep track of but we get to know many of them, some quite endearing which was another factor for returning.  Part of my initial reluctance to continue was due to knowing what many of the characters didn’t know yet and waiting for them to figure it out.  There’s a lot more going on though and everything wraps up quite nicely with no loose ends, therefore I don’t think a second season would be necessary.  Being eight episodes roughly 40-45 minutes each means the series was at least 320 minutes or 5 hours and 20 minutes, so naturally there seemed to be filler.  I believe this might’ve still worked as a 2-hour, 3-hour at most, feature.  6/6/2018


Sheep & Wolves                                                          B
Two traditionally warring groups stay in their own territories (eye rolls).  Here, as you may conclude, it’s sheep and wolves.  Someone from one side is suddenly condemned to live as one from the other side (eye rolls).  A wolf literally becomes a “wolf in sheep’s clothing.”  Both groups eventually learn they can get along (eye rolls and blah, blah, blah).  This offered absolutely nothing new and the animation is terrible.  I sensed bits of The Lion King thrown in too.  I hated this uninspired Russian animation (you needn’t worry about subtitles if you actually plan on watching since it has been made into an English version).  6/1/2018

The Strangers:  Prey at Night                                     OK/G

The Strangers, released ten years ago, was a flawed yet thoroughly enjoyable home invasion flick.  What exactly would you expect from a sequel released ten years later?  This sequel absolutely has its flaws but delivers something much better than expected.  This time, the trio of masked invaders target a family of four staying at a trailer park resort right before the off season (meaning no one else around and those that were, well...).  It was very wise not to limit the action to one house this time.  About those flaws---people still saying hello in unfamiliar places after hearing a noise, authorities arriving too late and offed before they can help, mentally having to tell characters what to do and not to do, and the most important one the first made as well---you never separate no matter what!!!  It is predictable at times too, but the film looks great and its cold-heart is in the right place.  Plus, the ‘80’s soundtrack very much works despite deviating from the brutal subject matter.  I really, really, really lean more towards G but I can’t overlook those aforementioned clichés and don’t know if I could sleep well at night rating it so.  Perhaps I should be picky considering ten years have passed and the knowledge of innumerous films should’ve made the creators aware of what to avoid.  Depending on what disc you watch, there’s an alternate ending that’s a bit better than the actual ending (which was lame), and I hate when given the option of a theatrical or unrated version if watching for the first time.  I always watch the theatrical first because that was the one initially released upon the public, but I know which version I’m watching in the future because maybe it’s even more brutal.  Definitely a worthy follow-up, but I expect the third one to be a masterpiece (or close to it) in 2028!  6/13/2018


Terrifier                                                                       OK/G

Art the Clown, originally seen in the horror anthology, All Hallows’ Eve, in his own spinoff film.  I don’t remember much about that film, but my archives indicate I gave it an OK/G rating, the same I’m giving this.  I was informed I didn’t have to refresh my memory, so I didn’t, otherwise my OCD would never have allowed me to watch this right away.  Despite being a spinoff, I don’t think you’d need any origin stories to watch a film about a clown that kills people.  That’s all Terrifier entails, nothing more, nothing less.  Art puts Pennywise to shame (either version) and doesn’t utter a single sound, even when being harmed (Art is to Jason/Michael Myers as Pennywise is to Freddy).  The film is violent as hell when it wants to be; one scene adds new meaning to being “sliced in half,” giving the beginning scene in Wrong Turn 2 a hefty run for its money.  A simplistic horror movie involving a clown brutally murdering people?  You’d think I’d love this film to the moon and back.  In retrospect, I very much did.  The other part of me, the critical part (or some would say matured), wished there was at least an ounce of a plot and that it took place in more than one primary dingy location.  Also, its low-budget is still apparent despite its high ambitions.  Plus, this goes for both victims and assailants---whenever you stab or harm someone with the intention of escaping or killing them, make sure you actually kill them because they’ll eventually gain consciousness and come after you!  And in true slasher fashion, the seemingly invincible villain suggests the possibility of a sequel at the end.  No, this film isn’t perfect but I’d still tell clown lovers (there isn’t a scientific term for it yet; clownophile isn’t a word according to the internet and coulrophile denotes a sexual attraction to clowns) to check it out; everyone else need not apply.  Would I have liked it less being the same exact movie with a different killer not necessarily a clown?  Hard to say but a villain’s appearance often very much differentiates these movies (many evil clown movies are slasher/body count films but the clown automatically puts it in its own subgenre).  Welcome to the cinematic evil clown family, Art!  6/5/2018


The Unwilling                                                             EH
Yet another disposable non-theatrical horror release featuring a recognizable face from the genre (Lance Henriksen) and another that only true horror fans born before the millennium will recognize.  Here’s a hint---sometimes they come back (wink, wink) to be in movies regardless of quality simply for a paycheck or hopeful comeback.  This formulaic feature involves six people gathering at a house for a will reading before a Lovecraftian box mysteriously arrives which contains deadly temptations that off them one by one.  It hints at something possibly clever towards the end, but never quite expands upon it before ending abruptly.  I am not unwilling, in the least, to tell you to pass on this!  6/3/2018



Vazante                                                                       EH
Brazilian film set in 1821 revolving around European slave owners and their African slaves.  Yeah, it happened in South and Central America as well as North America.  Many people don’t seem to acknowledge that those we call Latino/Hispanic are actually of European, African and American Indian descent, one or a combination of two or all three.  They are labeled Latino/Hispanic, regardless of race, by the U.S. government when they come to the states.  Anyway, back to this extreme slow burn of a film based on post-Columbian Brazilian history.  The synopsis I gave in the first sentence is essentially all this film entails in addition to members from both sides sleeping around with those they shouldn’t (at least of the time).  I have absolutely nothing against historical films with messages, I actually like learning more about history through films, but at least make it interesting.  This was no more compelling than reading a chapter in a history book without detailed information.  6/12/2018

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment