Sunday, April 24, 2016

movie reviews 4/24/2016

Movie (and one TV) reviews for the week:
(check out the profile page for rating meanings)

Anguish                                                                       EH
This starts off intriguing and somewhat creepy but becomes uninvolving, kinda cliché and sorta sappy.  Thumb down!  4/16/2016

Ash vs. Evil Dead                                                        VG/E

I know this is a TV show and not a movie but I don’t care!  Taking place years after the Evil Dead trilogy, this is essentially a 5-hour TV movie (10 commercial-free half-hour episodes).  It’s so well-done and gory, I forgot I was watching a TV show besides ending every half-hour.  This is the best TV show I’ve seen in a very long time; being a big fan of the cinematic series doesn’t hurt.  I’m gonna get the DVD/Blu-Ray when it comes out; I liked it that much.  It retains the fun of Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 with even more demons and endless amounts of the red stuff (again, I forgot I was watching a TV show).  I enjoyed this more than the damn Evil Dead remake and even Army of Darkness (which grew on me but still has that spoofiness turning me off at times).  This is Evil Dead 3 in my mind which I’m gonna watch after the first two movies whenever I have a Deadite marathon.  Highly recommended.  4/19/2016

Brooklyn                                                                      OK/G
Okay film detailing the oft-told “stranger in a strange land” premise, this time about an Irish girl starting a new life in (you guessed it) Brooklyn, New York.  Ultimately depicts that the grass may be greener on the other side (of the Atlantic Ocean here) yet you always miss parts of “home” but realize it’s good to leave making the visits more appealing.  Amazing how less than a century ago (1950s here), people experienced media-free lives, communicating through hand-written letters waiting long periods for any or no replies.  Not everyone had house phones either.  If this is remade 60 years from now taking place in 2016, Brooklyn will most likely have much different outcome(s).  4/23/2016

Easter Bunny Bloodbath                                             EH/OK
I hate when a good idea isn’t executed properly.  The notion of an Easter Bunny creating a bloody massacre with sharp weapons really gets me excited.  Taking place in the 80s (1987 to be exact) would totally seal the deal.  There’s blood for sure, but an obvious low budget (although homaging 80s VHS horror, we as an audience know it was made recently) trumps creative kills.  There’s also an overdone lame twist I foresaw way before the barely 80-minute end time, myself hoping it wouldn’t happen.  Again, if this was actually made in 1987, I might’ve been surprised by its novelty.  Give this film a better budget and rewrite the ending (or develop a time machine and send me back to the Reagan era with this film) and I’ll love this movie.  All the right things are there hidden like Easter eggs in the wrong movie.  4/19/2016

From the Dark                                                                        OK/G
Decent but sluggish flick from the land of Ire about vampiric (The Descent-ish) creature(s) that only attack when there’s no light source (including candles).  Impressive creatures and effective POV shots but ultimately felt too long even at 90 minutes.  4/20/2016

Happy Hell Night                                                        OK
Barely average but slightly better than below-average slasher film from the very early 90s.  The Nosferatu-like killer is sporadically creepy and the predominant pick-axe murders should satisfy horror-hounds.  Apparently wasn’t popular enough to make a franchise featuring the movie’s “boogeyman.”  4/21/2016

Intruders                                                                      OK/G
If I hadn’t seen a preview first, I might’ve been surprised by the “twist” midway.  Still, it’s a decent home-invasion movie that plays with some of the subgenre’s tropes.  The trite revelation kinda upset me for “copping out” on the good build-up.  Ultimately, I enjoyed being stuck in the house with the good actors; I just wish they didn’t overstay their welcome.  Perhaps I would like this movie much better if the third act was re-written?  4/18/2016

Ominous                                                                      EH
The people in this movie must never have seen Pet Sematary.  It’s usually never smart to resurrect loved ones since they most likely won’t return the same person, especially if caused by a Satanist cult member.  What begins as an Evil Dead-ish film gradually becomes a subpar TV-movie Omen remake.  With homage’s to the aforementioned films plus The Birds and, I thought, Children of the Corn II, this movie with equally impressive and atrocious special effects proves that sometimes (dead is better---Judd from Pet Sematary J) it’s better to just watch the films of yesteryear.  The only thing ominous here is a cliffhanger ending hinting at a possible sequel (like most modern horror/thrillers).  That’s why I’m here to tell you not to watch it so the studios won’t feel the need to please “fans” of the first one.  4/21/2016

The Passion of Darkly Noon                                       G
Pretty good film from 1995 about a programmed religious zealot, played by Brendan Fraser, slowly unraveling.  I particularly like certain movies in which you sense something is eventually going to transpire but unsure when, how and to whom.  Highly metaphorical.  Proceed, with patience.  4/16/2016

The Reflecting Skin
I would’ve never watched this film if it weren’t recently renewed in my favorite magazine, Rue Morgue.  It came out in 1991 but I don’t remember ever hearing about it.  I’m not going to rate it yet because I know I’m going to have to re-watch it after personal analysis and other interpretations (namely, re-reading the aforementioned magazine’s article).  Metaphorical art-house film with “vampire” subtexts and death personified plus a younger good-looking Viggo Mortensen.  Defies categorization!  4/24/2016

The Veil                                                                       OK/G
What happens when we die?  It’s something we all would like to know but never will despite what many religions attest.  Some of the characters in this film know what happens, but we don’t get to see.  This film, set in California but looks like it was shot somewhere in the Deep South (probably was), is as empty as the human vessels the “spirits” inhabit (see the movie to understand).  Well-shot with an impending sense of dread yet meanders until the denouement.  I dislike when movies show one side to a story.  I would’ve liked to have seen where these “souls” departed to, unless that was intended?  I wanted to like this movie with its star-studded cast, and I halfway did; maybe I should watch it again after discussions?  I do believe interesting conversations can be had with other conclusions/theories; so watch it and let’s chat!  4/24/2016

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment