Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Mooby Reviews 12/13/16

Here's my current film critiques:

The Amityville Terror                                                  OK/G

I had very low hopes for a movie with Amityville in the title not associated with the franchise.  It was a horror movie through Redbox I hadn’t seen and I had a code to use so I took a chance.  It actually wasn’t too bad.  The special effects people clearly don’t know how to make a burning person look authentic.  Those fire effects were awful.  Some things actually turned out slightly different than I imagined.  Still just okay.  If you have a Redbox code and are unsure what to get, why not?  The only thing you’ll end up wasting is time if you feel like you made the wrong choice.  12/7/2016

The BFG                                                                     OK/G
Roald Dahl was one of my favorite authors at one point.  What am I talking about?  He’s always been a good writer and always will be whether written for children or adults.  I remember liking the book this movie was based on and recalled some of it while watching.  It’s been over a decade since I last read it (yes, I’ve read his books more than once; Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one of my favorite books).  This movie had a decent amount of fun and lots of imagination.  I’m still not quite a fan of merging live-action with computer-generated imagery; it makes you remember you’re watching a movie.  I don’t remember watching the animated movie (from 1989) so I can’t compare the two.  I guess I expected more being based on a renowned late author’s novel directed by the renowned Mr. Spielberg.  I will say that one part made the child in me laugh for about three minutes.  It involved dogs and frobscottle.  12/8/2016

Jack Goes Home                                                         OK/G
Decent psychological thriller starring one of the younger Culkin brothers.  Attention-holding despite being generic and containing an overdone twist.  Perhaps if it remained tonally consistent and shaved off a few minutes…it almost works.  12/12/2016

Kicks                                                                           VG
All the unnecessary violence in this movie over a pair of sneakers?!  Goes to show that the environment we live in can dictate how we handle such situations.  This is probably the best movie in recent memory about life in the ‘hood since Menace II Society and Boyz n the Hood before that.  Good stuff.  Compelling.  12/10/2016

The Land                                                                     G
Two ‘hood movies in one blog!  This time it takes place in Cleveland where the biggest threat seems to be a biker gang controlled by a middle-aged woman that runs a food stand.  While this wasn’t as raw as Kicks, it doesn’t mean it’s any less real.  Four skaters hope to escape their neighborhood by being discovered by sponsors at competitions.  In order for them to do that they need money.  First, they rob cars and sell them.  When one of the cars contains drugs (owned by food stand lady) they see that as an easier way to make money.  Of course things never end peachy for everyone when the drug owner comes after those that take them.  Produced (amongst many) by Nas and containing a slightly unrecognizable Erykah Badu, the director has a promising career ahead if this is his first feature.  All those kids wanted to do was skate.  Does it have to be so hard for people to accomplish their dreams no matter where they come from?  12/13/2016

Pete’s Dragon                                                             OK/G
Well, this certainly isn’t as corny as the original from memory.  There’s no singing.  The dragon isn’t animated amongst live-action.  It is CGI and has the ability to become invisible.  I expect dragons to blow fire and cause death and destruction.  That’s why there’s movies like Reign of Fire.  This is a family movie.  The dragon does cause some damage by breathing fire at one point.  That part was cool.  The cinematography is breath-taking but ultimately this is harmless fluff for all ages.  12/12/2016

The Remains                                                               OK/G
This was a decent haunted house film.  The house is cool and the characters are mostly likable.  The significance of the giant dollhouse in the hallway is never quite explained which makes me wonder why it was even present at all.  There is no happy ending which is always welcome.  Not all movies have to end peachy-keen.  Life itself sure isn’t always.  12/7/2016

Siren                                                                            G
A spinoff that’s actually good.  Originally a segment in V/H/S/ featuring the titular creature.  We’re presented with the origins of the winged demon that paralyzes and kills men after singing.  Usually when someone promises a better “hotspot” that’s exclusive and located away from civilization, it doesn’t end well.  I generally enjoyed this movie though.  There’s a considerable sense of dread.  The first V/H/S/ wasn’t the best anthology to begin with.  Perhaps other segments will get expansions?  12/7/2016

Yoga Hosers                                                                EH
Kevin Smith was one of my favorite directors at one time.  That was pre-Jersey Girl with the exception of Clerks II.  I think Hollywood warped his indie mentality.  Jersey Girl wasn’t too bad but it still wasn’t a signature Smith movie.  Zack and Miri was decent but *see previous comment*.  Cop Out was awful.  Red State was decent but Kevin clearly wasn’t ready to make a horror movie yet.  Tusk was pretty good.  I think this might be his worst yet.  The two Colleens (one played by Smith’s daughter, the other is Johnny Depp’s) who made an appearance in Tusk get their own movie here.  They battle Bratzis (miniature bratwurst Nazis filled with sauerkraut when stomped, sliced and eradicated in any possible way) in a Canadian convenience store.  The Bratzis are quite detestable and irritating.  I didn’t find them interesting one bit.  Everyone in this movie seems to be juvenile dunderheads.  The blatant “Canadian-speak” wears off quickly and got on my last nerve.  I doubt any Canadian ever speaks that way.  Funny how Kevin Smith’s first movie over 20 years ago was more mature and brilliant.  If this had been his first movie, he would’ve never had a filmmaking career.  I miss those days when he was a (fellow) Jersey independent filmmaker.  I never listened to any of his Smodcasts.  My poor time management doesn’t allow me to listen to any podcast as much as I would like to.  Perhaps fans of his Smodcasts are more tailored to this kind of movie?  I sure am not.  According to the end credits, the two Colleens will return in another movie helmed by Mr. Smith called Moose Jaws.  I sure hope it’s a lot better than this, eh?  12/7/2016

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment