Sunday, December 2, 2018

Mooby Reviews 12/2/18

Here be my latest film (and 2 TV show) criticisms...

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina                            OK/G

Ten-episode series available on Netflix based off the comic book of the same name.  It is essentially a darker reimagining of Sabrina the Teenage Witch taking place in the same universe as Riverdale (the town is mentioned but no crossovers that I know of).  I never got into that Melissa Joan Hart series since I thought I was too old for it, or “too cool” possibly.  I’ve only seen bits and pieces of it, not an entire episode from memory, but the only things that appear to be similar for this series are that there’s a teenage girl named Sabrina who lives with two aunts, they’re witches, and there’s a black cat (he doesn’t talk in this series though).  Now, initially I actually stopped after the first episode since I thought it was going to be a corny (not in the good way mind you) teenybopper Harry Potter-ish series involving witches (that’s probably why I didn’t stick with the aforementioned Riverdale since it started to feel like a corny teenybopper version of Twin Peaks).  After reading a review for it in Rue Morgue though, and someone in a Facebook group informing me it gets better and less corny, I decided to give it another shot.  Well, they were right, kind of.  It does get better that’s for sure, less corny too, and a bit darker at times.  While it does contain dark subject matter (murder, cannibalism, resurrection, devil worship, covens), there still seems to be an underlying teenybopper aspect making me wonder who this series is exactly for.  Horror fans may be turned off by the teenybopper-ness while teenyboppers may be turned off by the violence and dark subject matter.  I, for one, do love my horror (as you all should know) and like a good teenybopper story in the right measure; they have to complement each other at least decently if conjoined though.  There was a decent amount to enjoy here, I think the “dream demon” episode was the most fun, and there was a certain kind of appeal to make me continue watching.  The first episode is the worst one (as implied above) and I enjoyed this way more than any parts I’ve seen of Melissa Joan Hart’s Sabrina if that’s any indication?; just make sure you’re ready to commit to ten roughly one-hour episodes (that actually go by pretty fast) if you decide to watch.  11/26/2018

Distorted                                                                     EH
I’m not sure if the title refers to the flashing images occasionally appearing onscreen or the film’s general disorganization.  Clearly something traumatic happened to this girl (played by Christina Ricci) as we’re consistently presented with the same images in flashbacks.  Clearly there is also a conspiracy going on involving the people in her life.  While the traumatic event isn’t fresh at all when revealed, I didn’t expect it, but I also didn’t care about the movie before that too much either.  I think I understood what else was really going on too, but it seemed loopy and I felt the execution was all half-assed, making the film feel empty and leaving me cold.  Clearly this was just a paycheck for Christina Ricci and John Cusack.  11/30/2018

The Domestics                                                             OK
Yet another post-apocalyptic movie.  This time it’s caused by a poisonous black gas via planes that kill off a good chunk of the population (North American at least) and those left alive either become (ahem) domestics or gang members.  Yeah, no zombies or infected people in this one (like I Think We’re Alone Now reviewed below), just gangs; there’re names for them too.  A straight couple with complications before the incident decide to travel to Milwaukee from somewhere to the northwest of it (based on a map) to see the girl’s parents after losing communication with them, and to hopefully heal their relationship in the process.  Along the way, they come across other domestics and the aforementioned gangs.  This pretty much has the look and feel of a Mad Max or Purge movie with a dash of The Warriors.  It is never exactly boring with plenty of action and didn’t appear cheaply made at all, but I think it’ll be better for those seeing this type of movie for the first time, whereas people like me having already seen their fair share of similar movies will think it’s just okay (hence my rating).  11/28/2018

Eli Roth’s History of Horror                                       G

Seven-episode documentary series on AMC (one hour each give or take) hosted by filmmaker Eli Roth featuring other filmmakers and actors in the horror genre talking about and giving their personal opinions on specific films.  The episodes cover zombies, slashers (in two parts), demons, killer creatures, vampires and ghosts in that order.  While the films discussed and analyses given are absolutely nothing I haven’t heard or read before (I would actually be surprised if there is a new approach to the topic(s) considering everything already out there), it’s still fun to see different people talk about them, especially if you’re a fan of any of the talking heads or have a general interest in the subject matter (like I obviously do).  It also made me want to re-watch many of the movies discussed, as is always the case when I read about or hear them mentioned.  I do think there could’ve been more than seven episodes (they obviously didn’t cover the entire genre), but perhaps I’m getting too far ahead of myself and more are planned?  If you decide to watch, hopefully you’ll be able to fast-forward the commercials since there seemed to be a break like every ten minutes (if that)!  11/26/2018

Feral                                                                           EH
A group of people go into the woods but instead of a masked psycho taking them out one by one, it’s a creature looking like a clothed Descent-ish being.  This creature contains a virus that enables its victims to resurrect as one of them.  Does that make them zombies then?  They only attack at night too.  Does that make them vampires then?  The remaining members manage to hole up in a cabin nearby owned by a man that rescued them.  Of course this man knows about these creatures and what happens when you’re attacked, but naturally no one is going to believe this “untrustworthy” man living alone in the woods until it’s too late.  Whatever, this movie was no Evil Dead, Dog Soldiers, or 28 Days Later among others, but it definitely reminded me of much better movies.  11/30/2018

I Think We’re Alone Now                                            OK/G
There doesn’t seem to be anyone around…I couldn’t help singing the popular Tiffany song, as should anyone aware of it.  The same goes for any time I see/hear the title of a song or specific lyrics in any regard.  No, that Tiffany song wasn’t played once in the movie from my recollection, but I did hear Rush twice.  Anyway, this is yet another post-apocalyptic movie, this time starring the famous “little person” actor, Peter Dinklage, and Elle Fanning.  Of course with all the other post-apocalyptic films out there already, this and any others made from here on out are going to seem unoriginal, to a point.  There are no zombies or infected peeps here, but there are plenty of dead bodies and no real explanation for the cause, but I don’t think we really need one anymore and if the characters themselves don’t know, I think it’s fair we don’t as well.  It is a very bleak film, but most post-apocalyptic films tend to be, whether visually or thematically, and you do slightly warm up to the characters even if it begins to drag and wallow in conventionality.  Mr. Dinklage’s character is seemingly the only one still alive when we first see him salvage any useful items from homes and burying any dead bodies in a field.  Of course he can’t be the last man on Earth (as other films have proven) and that’s where Elle’s character comes in.  And of course in a 99-minute film (especially of this sort), something will likely eventually happen to break up the monotony.  Well, something does happen and it makes for an interesting concept (not necessarily fresh) and an entirely different story in and of itself that I don’t think enough time was spent on.  This isn’t bad at all though considering the incessant amount of films in the subgenre already, especially lately.  11/27/2018


Kristy                                                                           EH/OK
I saw this on a list of Thanksgiving horror movies to watch from a Facebook post and it somehow bypassed me when it came out in 2014.  Well, it does take place around Thanksgiving and that’s the only way it would be classified as a Thanksgiving movie; it could’ve taken place any time of the year.  A college girl, whose name actually isn’t Kristy (you’ll find out why it was titled so), decides to stay on campus for Thanksgiving break, making her alone save a security guard and groundskeeper.  I guess if it wasn’t Thanksgiving break, there would’ve been more people on campus, but there’re other breaks during the college year so whatever.  This isn’t really a slasher film because there’re are four attackers (three masked, one being a hooded chick seen prior) solely focused on killing the girl and only killing others for getting in the way or just being present, so it’s more of a home invasion flick, or campus invasion flick more fittingly.  There is a reason (or motive I guess you can say) for their pursuance; it involves a website.  I actually thought this was going to be a pretty decent movie at first, but it’s at least a half hour too long and I couldn’t wait for it to be over.  11/24/2018

The Little Stranger                                                      EH/OK

If I had no clue what this movie was about beforehand, nor seen any previews, I would’ve initially thought this was a period drama taking place in the U.K.  I would’ve guessed the 1940’s and research tells me it took place in 1948 to be exact.  It very well might’ve been a period drama.  There is a sense of menace about it that never quite reaches its implied potential.  There is a rather disturbing dog mauling though.  There are a few scattered scenes of supernatural occurrences, but they’re brief and I expected this to strictly be a ghost movie, or at least a gothic thriller, or a thriller; it’s too desultory.  There’s nothing inherently wrong with the movie it ended up being, it’s just not what I expected, and it’s a bit long too.  Plus, the ending is a tad baffling and research informed me I wasn’t exactly correct in my conclusions but the intentions were slightly more baffling while still somewhat making sense, if that even makes any sense.  11/28/2018


Minutes to Midnight                                                    B

A group of co-workers go to a lodge in the woods to ring in the New Year.  A group of masked psychos looking like they belong in Gwar or a Mortal Kombat game live nearby and murder them one by one (it is eventually revealed why masks are worn).  There is violence but it doesn’t save this crapfest one iota (the best part involved a spiked skull but I didn’t care by then).  I hated every single character and could’ve cared less who bit the big one.  Someone we meet in the beginning ends up being in cahoots with the psychos (shocker).  One of the bound victims subsequently asks why they’re doing it (*eye roll*).  This was no fun at all.  It just happens to contain one of the Baldwin brothers and Bill Moseley, he looking like he stumbled right off the set of The Devil’s Rejects and even making a direct reference to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (no points for subtlety; no points for anything for that matter).  If I believed in making New Year’s resolutions, it would be to stop wasting time with garbage like this, but that isn’t a resolution at all, just wishful thinking.  11/26/2018


Our House                                                                  OK
A young guy is in the process of developing a device that can make electricity wireless.  A tragedy occurs one night and he’s now responsible for his two younger siblings.  He then works a regular job while still toying away at this creation.  Do you think the device has a way of inadvertently bringing about the spirits of those that passed away?  Movies and stories have always taught us that trying to bring back the dead never leads to anything good.  In the words of Judd from Pet Sematary, “sometimes dead is better.”  Movies have also taught me that I should believe a little kid when they say they see ghosts and/or communicate with them.  Why is it always the youngest that can see them?  Why are they never scared either?  They’re always so nonchalant about it.  And why do adults (or anyone older for that matter) never believe them until it’s too late?  I feel like I’m being a bit too lenient giving this an OK rating, but I did like the representation of these young siblings trying to move on after a great loss, and sensing something horrific was likely around the corner.  It does get a bit dark towards the end, but it was too little too late and not enough to save this from being too common.  It ends effortlessly too before closing with an image suggesting the story may not be over.  Yawn.  11/24/2018

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment