Saturday, December 19, 2020

Possessor

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Possessor                                                                    OK/G
Brandon Cronenberg’s daddy, David Cronenberg, is a renowned Canadian filmmaker that gave us films like Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, The Dead Zone, The Fly, and even ones like Spider, A History of Violence, and Eastern Promises.  I can’t say I’m the biggest fan of David, but I’ve seen enough of his work and liked some of them.  Brandon gave us Antiviral before this one.  I wasn’t a fan of that film, enough for it to land on my worst films list the year it came out.  This sophomore feature from Brandon, in a nutshell, involves a company that allows you, via technology of some sort, to literally become someone else in order to assassinate a specific target.  After the task is completed, the “possessor” is able to return back to their body attached to machinery.  Naturally, things don’t go smoothly for one task and that complicates everything.  This is an intriguing film, for sure, violent too, but it might be perplexing as well for likely a large percentage of the viewing population (I read up on it afterwards and actually grasped most of what I saw), and I feel there may be more to this world than we were presented with because it didn’t seem entirely over when it ended.  That’s why I can’t fully recommend it, or at least give it a strictly G rating, because I kind of do recommend it in a sense (it’s a whole lot better than Brandon’s debut feature, that’s for sure).  I would actually welcome a sequel in order to make it possibly feel more part of a whole.  Or perhaps I just need another viewing?  I’m willing to hear any opinions (I already read enough mostly objective articles in publications).  12/17/2020

Bonus review:

Blood from Stone                                                        EH/OK
(haiku review)
Vamps in Las Vegas.
They meet people, then kill them.
Bloody, sure, but lame.  12/17/2020

*Currently available on Amazon Prime and Tubi*

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Christmas Crossfire  >>>EH
            (Netflix; In German with subtitles)

The Christmas Project  >>>OK

A Cinderella Story:  Christmas Wish  >>>EH/OK

Holiday Hell  >>>OK

Radioflash  >>>OK

Widow’s Point  >>>OK

---Sean O.
12/19/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment