Saturday, November 20, 2021

Candyman/Creepshow (Season 3)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Candyman                                                                   OK/G
All this time I thought this was a remake when it’s actually a direct sequel to the original 1992 film, much like 2018’s Halloween was to the 1978 original.  Well, when I read about it a while ago I thought it was more of a re-imagining.  I am a fan of the original Candyman, I am; parts 2 and 3 (Farewell to the Flesh and Day of the Dead) released in 1995 and 1999 are forgettable.  Since this new film is a sequel and not a remake, I was a little more forgiving of it (yes, I hate remakes more than sequels), but it actually wasn’t that bad for a sequel released almost 30 years later.  It’s definitely more topical than the original was, for those that may care, and there are effective uses of shadow puppetry during flashbacks.  It did feel a tad limited and ended too soon, and, being that it is a sequel, it did suffer somewhat from “sequelitis” in regards to the legendary predecessor (needless to say, parts 2 and 3 don’t exist in this universe), but, as far as sequels go (especially released this far apart), you could do worse (those aforementioned ones being examples).  11/19/2021

Creepshow (Season Three)
Well, I liked the third season of this Shudder series based on the popular anthology franchise better than last season, but it still wasn’t as good as the first.  You can read my review for season one here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2020/01/creepshow-season-onejay-and-silent-bob.html and season two here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2021/05/creepshow-season-2in-search-of-darkness.html.  Again, there are 6 episodes this time (ranging from 44 to 55-minutes) containing two segments each.  The ones I liked best were “The Things in Oakwood’s Past,” “Meter Reader,” “A Dead Girl Named Sue,” and “Mums.”  “Skeletons in the Closet,” “Okay, I’ll Bite,” “Stranger Sings,” and “Time Out” were just okay.  I wasn’t so crazy about “Queen Bee,” “Familiar,” “The Last Tsuburaya,” and “Drug Traffic.”  Looks like there were an equal amount of good, bad, and in-between this time.  “The Things in Oakwood’s Past” was probably my favorite, ironically being the only animated segment, reminding me of a Tales from the Cryptkeeper episode; an R-rated episode at that (yes, there is gore and at least one F-bomb from recollection).  “Meter Reader” is an apocalyptic tale containing demons that probably could’ve been longer, and “Mums” was a decent albeit typical revenge tale based on a story by Joe Hill (Stephen King’s son).  “A Dead Girl Named Sue” takes place in 1968 and occurs at the same time as a certain movie released during that year, and it manages to work.  The battling skeletons in “Skeletons in the Closet” belong more in a Ray Harryhausen feature (that being an esoteric preference), but the segment is kind of fun for horror fans in that it references many films.  “Time Out” is a pretty simple story wherein time can be stopped while in an armoire, but of course there’s a catch, like usual; the ending is unfortunate, much like the one in Thinner.  “Stranger Sings” was a standard just okay segment involving a siren, while “Okay, I’ll Bite” was also a just okay one involving spiders in a prison.  “Queen Bee” I just wasn’t a fan of the creature design, and “Drug Traffic” was too bizarre for me (not in a good way), involving a floating head.  “Familiar” and “The Last Tsuburaya” were simply just lame, the former reminding me of the Tales from the Darkside movie (only worse), the latter involving a greedy art collector eventually getting his inevitable comeuppance.  Like always, you’re bound to agree or disagree with my assessment.  At least there were some decent segments this time.  I still wonder if they should’ve just ended at season one, but, like always, I’ll still be tuning in for any more seasons they give us…11/17/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Blush (short)  >>>OK
   (Apple+)

First Date  >>>EH

Sam Was Here  >>>EH/OK

Séance (2021)  >>>EH/OK

Separation (2020; short)  >>>B

Skull:  The Mask  >>>EH
   (In Portuguese with subtitles)

V/H/S/94  >>>OK

White Girl (2019; short)  >>>EH

---Sean O.
11/20/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment