Monday, September 18, 2023

The Third Saturday in October Part V

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Third Saturday in October Part V                        OK/G
The Third Saturday in October takes place in the late Seventies in Alabama and begins with a serial killer getting the electric chair.  In true slasher fashion, he wakes up before being put into the ground and begins another killing spree.  Now, the aesthetic of the film gets a passing grade since it actually looked like it came out in the decade it occurs; something about films in that time, particularly horror, look so appealing to me.  As for the content?  Meh.  The characters are fine, but it’s nothing particularly special (I know, how original can you be with slashers, now or in the past?) and the majority of kills weren’t exactly noteworthy.  You did read the title of this review right; this is titled Part V as there are no parts two, three, and four (although they do exist in this cinematic universe and we’re given clips to those films in a “flashback” at the beginning).  This one takes place in 1994, both films made to appear as if released at their coinciding times (both released on the same day this year).  This one was more fun; the kills were definitely an improvement (although still not grand) and I wonder if that was part of the whole gimmick in that slasher films usually try to one-up their predecessor(s) in terms of violence (these aren’t parodies either; definitely homages).  The killer dons a passable skull mask this time too as opposed to seeing his disfigured mug before.  Even though I liked this sequel better (although flawed), the first one makes a good companion piece and you should probably still watch both (this one just has more substance whereas the other was strictly style).  The end of the credits indicate there will be a sixth entry (third for us), but I wonder if that was just another part of the gimmick…9/18/2023

Bonus review:

Wreck (Season One)                                                    EH/OK
[POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW]
British TV series released last year containing six episodes ranging between 40 and 50-minutes each.  It takes place on a cruise ship and begins as a decent slasher, or what seemed could’ve been a decent slasher, even though the killer was dressed in a benign duck costume.  Most of the characters appeared to be likable too.  Slasher films don’t need to be more than 90-minutes, if that, let alone a roughly 5-hour series.  The reveal, however, which wasn’t until the end of the fifth episode(!), made it more akin to something like Hostel; not exactly like it, but it reminded me of it.  Much of what occurred between the first and last episode seemed like filler, often times being a slog to get through, feeling like I forced myself to continue (never a good sign); I finished because it was only six episodes and I read about it in a horror magazine (which is how I heard of this in the first place).  Perhaps if they condensed this into a feature film comprising of the first and last two episodes with a rewrite, it might’ve been better, or at least okay.  The parts of this that did work were merely just okay anyway (not much was done once the big reveal came and nothing felt too original when all was said and done; there were at least two worthy deaths though, one involving a chainsaw).  I read that there was a second season planned to be released this year, but I honestly don’t think I want to do another round.  9/17/2023

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Blood (2023)  >>>OK

Jagged Mind  >>>EH
            (Hulu)

The Other Black Girl (Season One)  >>>OK/G
                        (Hulu; 10 episodes)

Slayers   >>>EH

The Third Saturday in October  >>>EH/OK

---Sean O.
9/18/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment