Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Zombie Town/Pet Sematary: Bloodlines

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Zombie Town                                                              OK/G
I never read the 2012 book by Mr. R.L. Stine in which this film is based, so I couldn’t do any comparisons (I’ll probably check it out if I ever get my hands on it, even though reading the book afterwards isn’t quite the same thing).  Yes, as much as I love the scribe, I haven’t read all of his books (there are lots, and he hasn’t stopped yet!).  Here, Dan Aykroyd plays a filmmaker living in a small town (which was renamed after his character) releasing a new film 30 years since his previous one (you will learn why the long gap).  Something happens while this film is in the movie theater projector which turns most of the townspeople into…want to take a guess?  These zombies don’t munch on flesh, but they do have a way of infecting those not zombified, which I think was a slightly clever way of keeping it family friendly (or at least not R-rated) while still managing to work for open-minded horror fans (like yours truly).  The reasoning behind the apocalypse was a bit clever too.  It did feel a bit lacking when it was over---there’s even a post-credits sequence involving some of the performers criticizing the fluffy ending before teasing us after hints of it being altered (jerks!)---but it was still a decent gateway horror flick in that TV-movie-of-yore kind of way (you know---small town, movie theater, kids, Halloween, monsters, etc.).  10/6/2023

Pet Sematary:  Bloodlines                                           EH/OK
Prequel to the 2019 remake, which I wasn’t a fan of (you can read my review for it in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2019/07/stranger-things-season-three.html), available on Paramount+.  If you remember a flashback in the original Pet Sematary wherein a soldier returns from the dead and wreaks havoc, that is the general basis for this film.  I actually thought this could’ve been something decent before it became a lackluster body count flick (which might’ve worked elsewhere), ultimately feeling like it was only part of a movie (technically it was, but, prequel or not, movies should be able to stand alone).  I didn’t hate it, but I doubt it will be revisited over time like the original Pet Sematary and its worthy sequel, Pet Sematary Two.  10/8/2023

Bonus reviews:

Winnie-the-Pooh:  Blood and Honey                          OK
Fairy tales/children’s stories can sometimes arguably be labeled horror stories; gateway horror, if you will.  Sometimes they’re made into actual horror films.  I wasn’t much a fan of Gretel and Hansel (you can read my review for it here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2020/05/gretel-and-hansel.html), or a bunch of other (mostly) direct-to-video titles I don’t feel like listing and/or recalling.  There have been interesting takes like Pinocchio’s Revenge and 1995’s Rumpelstiltskin, and I am curious about The Mean One, as well as any other beloved childhood property becoming a horror feature (allegedly there are Peter Pan and Bambi ones coming).  This one features the titular honey-guzzling yellow bear and his sidekick, Piglet, reverting back to their animalistic ways after their human companion, Christopher Robin, fails to return to the 100 Acre Wood (thus being a plausible reason for their ensuing behavior).  We learn this through an animated sequence in the beginning.  It then becomes a backwoods slasher flick set (and shot) in the U.K., starting as what could’ve been a decent one---five girls go to a cabin in the woods being fair game for these creatures gone rogue, as well as any other unfortunate souls passing by, and what more could anyone really expect?  It does become a bit flimsy midway though.  And Piglet’s look definitely gets a failing grade; Pooh’s was…passable, I guess (we didn’t get to meet the other characters, although you learn one of their fates in that aforementioned animated sequence).  It only received a 3% rating out of 59 critics on Rotten Tomatoes (as of this writing); it definitely wasn’t that bad, even though I probably wouldn’t help raise that low rating myself.  The shots of the woods are superb and the setting is perfect (however typical for this subgenre), enabling me to give that aspect a passing grade.  There is violence too, no doubt, some of it worthy, which should please a decent number of horror hounds.  So, while far from perfect, it definitely has its moments, enough to prevent me from entirely dismissing it.  There is a sequel slated to be released next year (two other characters are supposed to make an appearance), the ending of this surely leaving room for one, and, while a follow-up may not be necessary, I am curious (much like I was with this one)…10/3/2023

Monsters of California                                                B/EH
A member of Blink-182 directed a sci-fi film?  Of course I was curious.  Tom DeLonge is that member; he also co-wrote and co-produced it.  I was a big fan of the pop-punk trio’s first two albums (Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch), which I do still listen to if the songs pop up on my iPod.  I was a fan of the third album (Enema of the State), but that was when they gradually started becoming a “boy band.”  I stopped following them after the fourth album (Take Off Your Pants and Jacket).  They made four albums since and happen to be coming out with another one shortly.  Anyway, about this movie.  I had zero hope for it the moment a famous cryptid urinated in a character’s mouth, and I believe that wasn’t even towards the middle.  There are no more bizarre moments like that afterwards, but it is generally a flat sci-fi comedy (I guess that’s what it was going for) involving conspiracy theories and some other shit, i.e. guy meets girl, said guy tries figuring out what happened to his father, hints of otherworldly phenomena (hints meaning you don’t get much in that department, so don’t expect much), and it began as a sort of Ghostbusters-ish movie!  It tries to be existential too, failing miserably, and the payoff is as weak as they come.  Can you infer that I wasn’t a fan of this movie?  Tom, if this debut is any indication, you should stick to your other career, although I, personally, haven’t preferred that for years either (as mentioned above).  If you do plan on making another movie, it better be better than this…10/9/2023

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

The Boogeyman (2023)  >>>EH

Follow Her  >>>EH/OK

Haunted Mansion (2023)  >>>EH/OK

Poison (2023)  >>>EH/OK
            (Netflix)

Reptile  >>>EH
     (Netflix)

Sanctuary  >>>B

---Sean O.
10/11/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment