Sunday, November 5, 2023

Five Nights at Freddy's

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Five Nights at Freddy’s                                               OK
I’ve never played a single one of the video games (I saw there are at least 13) or read any of the books or comics (at least 28 I saw) on which this film is based.  Therefore, I went into this movie with zero knowledge of what to expect, other than it containing killer animatronic characters in a Chuck E. Cheese-style establishment (here, a place called Freddy Fazbear’s, an abandoned place popular in the Eighties still in need of night security guards because the owner “just can’t let the place go;” it takes place in 2000).  I would imagine it’s somewhat faithful considering the creator, Scott Cawthon, had a hand in the screenplay and production.  I can see comparisons made to Willy’s Wonderland (you can read my review for that here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2021/04/willys-wonderland.html), and it most certainly came to mind before and during watching, but the plots are a bit different.  This one is also rated PG-13, so the majority of violence is implied (yes, people are killed), but implied violence can be effective in gateway horror, and this film does manage to succeed in being suitable for those that might be a bit too young for violence.  I do think it falls short in terms of a general horror film though, at least in how the film could’ve been, but I have a feeling we’re going to see more of this world (Cawthon said there will be more depending on this film’s success; surely there’s enough to tell with all those games, books, and comics!).  Currently, it has a 29% rating out of 144 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  It definitely wasn’t that bad, but had the rating been much higher, I might’ve thought it was overrated (at least based on this first viewing).  I will say that for surpassing 100-minutes, it really didn’t feel that long.  10/28/2023

Bonus reviews:

Saturn Bowling                                                           EH/OK
French film (yes, that means subtitles if you don’t speak French) in which I was only interested due to being a new thriller containing a bowling alley.  Said (titular) bowling alley was left to two half-brothers after their father (the owner) passed and is only featured for about half the time, if that.  One of the sons is a detective, so he lets the other son run the bowling alley, even though he obviously doesn’t know how to.  The film focuses on both the men separately, the second part on the police officer investigating some local murders.  There’s no mystery though since we know who the murderer is; it’s just a matter of when the detective will find out and what will ensue.  The characterizations are fine, but the content is very underwhelming; the ending is just so tacky too.  Ultimately, not worth watching.  10/30/2023

The Fall of the House of Usher (Netflix)                    EH
(haiku review)
I wasn’t a fan. 
Forced myself to finish it.
Eight eps.; too drawn out.  11/3/2023

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

All Hallows’ Eve:  Trickster  >>>EH/OK

Bargain (Season One)   >>>OK
   (Paramount+; 6 episodes; In Korean with subtitles)

Soft & Quiet  >>>OK

Thunderbird (2021)  >>>OK

The Unknown (1927)  >>>OK/G
               (Silent film)

---Sean O.
11/5/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment