Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Slasher: Season One and Two


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Slasher:  Season One                                                  G
I finally got around to watching this show (an anthology series like that of American Horror Story or True Detective) I put on my long list of ‘to-watch’ titles, thanks to social media for reminding me of it.  In the beginning, I wondered how an 8-episode series (available on Netflix) being generally 43 minutes each (almost 6 hours!) could effectively sustain itself considering a slasher film under 90 minutes overstays its welcome half the time, if not more than.  Well, as you can see by my rating, it did work and characterization was a big factor in making that happen.  Characterization is very important to a slasher feature as we typically spend more time with the potential victims than the villain.  If they only focused on the kills (as impressive as they may be), the film would be no more than 15 minutes and completely lack characterization, making it more akin to a snuff film.  Part of the fun in the Friday the 13th films, in addition to Jason Voorhees and all his kills, are the many characters we get to meet before all but one (or two sometimes) meet their demise.  This series takes place in a small town called Waterbury where a young woman returns with her husband to the house her parents were murdered in almost 30 years prior (which is one of the first scenes you see).  Being it’s a small town, everyone pretty much knows everyone and most people have secrets.  There are a good deal of characters and we get to know them all well enough regardless of how early they bite it.  There’s enough to keep you occupied, regardless of originality, which made me binge-watch the entire season in less than 24 hours.  And there is violence, not often, but quite gory at times.  I did figure out who the killer was fairly early, but, come on, I’ve seen enough of these to pay attention to every character.  Also, as I know I’ve mentioned before, I don’t really care who the person behind the mask is as long as I enjoy the rest of it (as I mostly did here).  Plus, the killer usually isn’t revealed until the end (here, it’s the end of the 7th episode), so we have to be occupied before that, otherwise it’ll be a dull movie or TV show (which this surprisingly wasn’t).  On to season two (see below) and season three is premiering this week as of this writing, so it looks like I chose a good time to begin this series, as should other slasher fans who haven’t yet!  5/19/2019

Slasher:  Season Two                                                  OK
Well, like many sequels (even though this is an anthology series), this season wasn’t as good as the first (see above).  I definitely didn’t hate it though and don’t regret watching it, and I still binge-watched it in one day like I did the first.  The episodes were a bit longer this time (roughly ten minutes give or take) and the characterizations weren’t always as captivating; some I didn’t get to know well enough, some I could care less about (not uncommon for a slasher feature though).  The setting was more fitting this time for a general slasher---a former camp, now a commune, isolated, transportation destroyed (gas siphoned from vehicles), communication cut off (I believe this took place in the past as I don’t recall cell phones), too far to walk due to the cold---but I got bored more than once (must’ve been those extra ten minutes!).  It takes place in the present at the (now) commune, but there are many flashbacks to when it was a camp five years prior and a group of camp counselors (now at the commune) were responsible for a murder.  I think it would’ve been better if the story took place during camp to feel more slasher-y, but the creators sort of managed to make it work the finalized way.  The deaths are definitely gorier, making at least one of the “sequel rules” from Scream 2 true here (the deaths are more elaborate in sequels), but, like I said, this isn’t a sequel and the only connection to season one was the re-appearance of some of the performers (not characters).  I actually didn’t figure out the killer this time, but when they were revealed (at the end of episode 6), it was simply a ‘whatever’ reaction.  There was a twist though that took me by surprise, not fresh, but I didn’t expect it here, and it ironically brought to mind the original Friday the 13th.  I liked this season more than disliked it, but like many sequels and anthology shows/series for that matter, they can’t always be good or equally as good as other parts (as nice as that would be).  I’m still looking forward to season three being released this week (as of this writing)!  5/21/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Aquaman  >>>OK/G

Arctic  >>>OK

Everybody Knows  >>>EH/OK

Isn’t It Romantic  >>>EH

The Man Who Killed Hitler and then the Bigfoot  >>>EH/OK

Wanda Sykes:  Not Normal  >>>OK/G


---Sean O.
5/22/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment