Sunday, May 26, 2019

Slasher: Season Three


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Slasher:  Season Three                                                OK/G
This season (currently available on Netflix), much like the preceding two, contains detailed characterizations and bloody violence when need be; one part puts the ‘death by blender’ scene in You’re Next to shame.  The victims this time are tenants in an apartment building and the killer is dubbed “The Druid” and looks like a Purge character.  Also like the other entries, this season contains a diverse cast comprising the gender/race/sexuality spectrum, maybe the most so far if I’m not mistaken, and I believe this series (especially this season) may top American Horror Story for having more LGBT representation; well, maybe not the T, so perhaps there should be a trans character(s) in future seasons to be completely inclusive?  This season was more engaging than season two but lost steam in the middle-ish for a bit; I definitely lean more towards G though.  I figured out who the killer was early on (the key sometimes is to pay attention to every single character no matter how many times they appear, and notice if they’re ever pursued by the killer or happen to be in the vicinity during a murder), but there’s more to the ending after the revelation at the end of episode seven (oh, there are 8 episodes like the other 2 seasons, roughly between 45 and 50 minutes each).  I binged this entire season in one day like I did the others; it has that addictive quality and the episodes go by pretty fast.  That being said, I can say I’m a fan of this anthology series for the most part and will definitely tune in for any subsequent seasons.  5/24/2019


Bonus reviews:


The Perfection                                                             OK/G
Reviews for this Netflix film were pretty cryptic in the details, so I won’t disclose too much information either, other than that it involves musical performers, paranoia, and revenge.  It begins as one type of movie before backtracking and becoming another, and there’s more than one Wild Things-ish twist which I feel lessened the film’s overall impact.  I was engrossed for a good deal and dark elements are within, but it’s another one of those films I anticipated but wasn’t as satisfied as I anticipated.  5/25/2019



Rim of the World                                                         EH/OK
This new Netflix film begins as a silly camp movie before becoming a silly alien invasion/post-apocalyptic movie.  Silly, but kind of fun (pretend ‘kind of’ is in big bold letters).  The fate of the world falls on four kids (a nerdy redhead, a misunderstood delinquent, an initially quiet Asian girl, and a mouthy black kid; or, in their own words, “a nerd, a criminal, an orphan, and a joke”) that meet at the titular camp and must travel to a facility with an item needed to save the world.  Do you think they end up saving the world?  Of course they do, or maybe they don’t (it’s not polite to spoil movies, especially in reviews), but whether they do or not, they face several obstacles (both human and alien) en route to the facility, all while referencing different types of pop culture.  The crappy CGI creatures look straight out of a videogame and don’t try to tell me that McG (the director) doesn’t have enough money/resources for better creature designs considering he made two Charlie’s Angels movies and one of the Terminator movies.  Overall, I don’t think this is entirely worth watching, it goes on longer than necessary, but you could do worse.  You could also do better.  5/25/2019



Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Christmas Presence  >>>EH/OK

Dead Shack  >>>G

Deadwax:  Season One  >>>G
(Shudder)

Miss Bala  >>>OK

Tyrel  >>>OK

You Might Be the Killer  >>>G


---Sean O.
5/26/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment