Thursday, September 19, 2019

Friday the 13th: Vengeance/The Dead Don't Die


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Friday the 13th:  Vengeance                                        EH/OK
This is a new fan-made film available on YouTube that is allegedly a direct sequel (set 30 years later) to Friday the 13thPart VI:  Jason Lives.  Jason Lives is one of my favorite sequels in the franchise (largely for nostalgic reasons; it was the first one I saw) and nothing indicated this took place in the same timeline.  There were references to Part V:  A New Beginning (not too bad) and Part 2 (kinda bad), as well as an attempted re-enactment of the first double murder in the original first (almost very bad).  It’s clear the makers (which were fans supposedly) had their hearts in the right places, but it’s also clear they didn’t have the right means to make it (kickstarter?), yet they somehow managed to get legendary composer, Harry Manfredini (who scored the majority of Friday films among others).  It may be that YouTube might not be the greatest platform to distribute a movie on despite being great for many other things (I do use YouTube); I just didn’t feel like I was watching a real movie, like it actually was a fan-made film specifically loaded onto the channel.  Wait a minute…nevermind.  There was gore, but often the camera would cut away and show the aftermath which might’ve been smart for budgetary or rating reasons, but it was mostly an annoyance making it look even more unprofessional.  I felt myself getting bored quite a bit too and the ending leaves it open for a follow-up.  I’m all for another Jason movie as long as it’s made with the right means and looks like an actual film (all filmmakers are essentially film fans are they not?).  That doesn’t mean a remake though; this may have actually been better than that 2009 remake, but I would still like a movie better than this.  9/17/2019



The Dead Don’t Die                                                   OK/G
Another zombie movie?  This one comes from non-horror filmmaker, Jim Jarmusch, known for simple films like Coffee and Cigarettes and Broken Flowers.  It takes place in a small town containing several different characters played by familiar faces before becoming a standard zombie movie, not right away though, and certainly isn’t without gory moments.  Some of it was a bit too tongue-in-cheek though---RZA working for a company called WU-PS (hardy-har-har), Steve Buscemi playing a farmer with a red cap stating “Keep America White Again” while conversing with a black man (Danny Glover), and the fact both Bill Murray and Adam Driver know they’re in a movie.  If the script can’t take itself seriously, how does it expect us viewers too?  It still wasn’t bad as a typical zombie movie (the zombies being filled with dust was new-ish), or even just as a movie period; I just don’t think I’ll ever watch it again.  In other words…forgettable, but still watch it at least once.  9/17/2019


Bonus reviews:


Mindhunter:  Season One and Two
Netflix series about FBI agents trying to figure out why serial killers/murderers do what they do, taking place in the late Seventies up to the very early Eighties.  There is really no action in this series (especially the first season) as this is strictly about the characters, and if you don’t like the characters, this may not be the series for you.  I grew quite fond of Jonathan Groff (Looking; also a fellow queer in real life) and even the hulking Holt McCallany (I still can’t believe he once played that American Indian thug in Creepshow 2).  I know the majority of visual media is from an omniscient viewpoint wherein the viewer plays God, but you basically shadow these people as they do their jobs, hence the no action.  The characters did play a huge part, but I never felt like I forced myself to continue and there was something strangely compelling that made me want to keep watching.  The topic of serial killers has been done countless times before too (Ed Kemper, David Berkowitz, and Charles Manson among others are portrayed here).  There was a bit of a mystery during the second season, shot in a True Detective-ish fashion, surrounding Atlanta murders of the time that are allegedly still unsolved to this day (according to end credits).  David Fincher (Seven, The Game, Fight Club, Panic Room, Zodiac), the executive producer and director of several episodes, likely had a part in stylizing this dark drama.  I didn’t give this a rating (either season since I binged it as one long one) because I don’t want to feel unfair and I don’t want to feel like I’m giving it too much credit.  Put it this way, I’m a bit bummed I have no more episodes to watch despite sitting through 19 of them (none of which were exactly short).  Supposedly Mr. Fincher plans on making five seasons.  Well, he better get crackin’ before I forget what already happened and I’m not re-watching these two seasons (Wikipedia might prevent me from doing that too, of course).  9/17/2019



Battle at Big Rock                                                       OK
(haiku review)
Jurassic World short.
Fine as 8-minute segment.
I still wanted more.  9/17/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Among the Shadows  >>>VB

Girls with Balls  >>>EH/OK

My Son  >>>OK/G

Rocko’s Modern Life:  Static Cling  >>>OK

The Wind  >>>OK


---Sean O.
9/19/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment