Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Spiral (From the Book of Saw)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiral (From the Book of Saw)                                   EH/OK
When I first heard they were making yet another Saw movie starring Chris Rock, I was like, “You’ve got to be f#$&ing kidding me!”  Part 7 was supposed to be The Final Chapter, even though I never believe that shit with franchises, and the last entry, Jigsaw, was one Saw too many; the first 7 are actually watchable (you can read my review for Jigsaw here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2017/11/mooby-reviews-11917.html).  Curiosity, as well as OCD, always gets the better of me though and I always end up watching any sequels, remakes, spinoffs, what have you (therefore, I shouldn’t even complain about them anymore if I just end up promoting them).  Instead of simply being called Saw 9, this just claims to be “From the Book of Saw.”  In other words, a spinoff.  Some of those involved with this feature claim it’s not like the other Saw films, but they certainly could’ve fooled me.  Other than cops being the only victims of a Jigsaw copycat’s traps this time (of course you’ll learn the reason for it), this was most definitely like any other Saw film, only completely uninspired and not as suspenseful (Chris Rock wasn’t even the problem; he did fine actually).  The deaths may have been gory, but the traps weren’t that elaborate as ones past, save for maybe one involving glass bottles.  I’m not sure even seven movies needed to be made in the first place, and (as I mentioned) I thought the last entry was one Saw too many, but this entry, claiming to be separate from the rest, is two too many.  I don’t think they should make any more, but if they do (which I certainly have no control over), I hope they do a better job next time.  Darren Lynn Bousman helmed it too, he also being behind Saw 2-4 among other genre titles, so I don’t understand how it all went wrong…7/26/2021

Bonus review:

Blood Red Sky                                                             OK/G
(haiku review)
New hijack/vamp film.
It has bite…literally.
It’s a bit long though.  7/23/2021

*Available on Netflix; In German (mostly) and English with subtitles*

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Locked In (2021)  >>>B

Summer of 8  >>>EH

Summer ’03  >>>OK

The Unholy  >>>B

---Sean O.
7/28/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment