Friday, October 29, 2021

Old/AHS: Double Feature

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Old                                                                              OK/G
Mr. M. Night Shyamalan’s latest feature.  I can definitely say I’m a fan of the man.  I liked all of his films enough save for Lady in the Water, The Last Airbender, and After Earth, some more than others naturally, and I don’t include the two films he made before The Sixth Sense (that’s when his auteur status truly started).  In case you haven’t seen any previews or read about this newest film, a group of people go to a beach (I don’t remember getting a location, but it was filmed in the Dominican Republic) that may look like paradise, but is anything but.  There is a bit more to it than the simplistic premise, and I would hope so given it’s over 100-minutes.  I had a strange fascination with it, as I do most of his films, there being a disturbing air to it all.  The ending may divide viewers and could arguably make what came before appear less bleak (and it somewhat does), but, on the other hand, everything is tied up neatly in the way M. Night does well.  I have a feeling this might get better with age (pun intended), and I am interested in checking out the graphic novel it’s based on (Sandcastle), but as for being his best?  Absolutely not, but it’s definitely better than those three films I mentioned above!  10/23/2021

American Horror Story:  Double Feature
Season 10 of this series presents two different storylines as the title suggests.  The first six of the ten episodes, entitled Red Tide, takes place in Massachusetts near the beach in what appears to be the off-season.  There is a black pill, currently the drug of choice on the streets, that will either bring out your talents and make you successful or turn you into a vampire-like creature if you have no talents (what a kick in the face for those without talent!).  This part of the season wasn’t bad, far from great, and the dreary New England setting certainly worked in its favor.  I liked it better than the second part of the season, Death Valley, an alien tale set in the Southwest that takes place in the past (roughly between the Fifties and Seventies) and the present.  It has its moments and ends rather bleakly, but I didn’t particularly care for either timeline (the past involving presidents and the present involving a facility that conducts a specific experiment).  It definitely probably looked better on paper, and I guess I should be grateful it was only 4 of the 10 episodes.  Overall, this wasn’t the best season, but I wouldn’t tell you not to watch it, especially if you’ve watched up to this season.  There is gore in both parts and you’ll recognize several faces (both in the series and not) in both, and it was neat they presented it as a double feature like Grindhouse theatres of yore, but I don’t think I can add it to the list of my favorite seasons so far (those being Murder House, Asylum, Coven, Freak Show, and Roanoke).  10/23/2021

Bonus reviews:

Aileen Wuornos:  American Boogeywoman               EH
(haiku review)
It’s not quite Monster.
More of a prequel to it.
Insufficient film.  10/25/2021

You (Season Three)                                                     OK
(haiku review)
First two were better.
Not as addicting this time.
Maybe next season?  10/25/2021

*10 episodes; available on Netflix.  You can read my review for season 2 here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2020/01/7-reviews-17-ratings.html*

Secrets of Sulphur Springs (Season One)                    OK/G
(haiku review)
Decent mystery.
Involves time travel down South.
Fine for all ages.  10/25/2021

*11 episodes; available on Disney+*

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Don’t Breathe 2  >>>EH/OK

Hypnotic (2021)  >>>EH
   (Netflix)

Night Teeth  >>>EH
   (Netflix)

Stillwater  >>>OK
   (In French, with subtitles, and English)

---Sean O.
10/29/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment