Saturday, January 14, 2023

Crabs!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Crabs!                                                                         EH
Giant horseshoe crabs created by a briefly seen nuclear explosion attack a nearby town.  Some of the crabs transform into giant creatures.  There’s a giant robot too.  It is gory.  Is it fun?  Unfortunately…no.  Not as much fun as a B-movie, or even Z-movie, should be.  Is it funny?  Sometimes, but not nearly enough to make up for its lack of fun.  I couldn’t stand the foreign kid (played by an American), and that goes for the extremely dopey song he sings during the end credits too.  Complete disappointment.  It’s a shame too since the effects were practical, or at least they all appeared to be, and it’s barely 80-minutes.  1/11/2023

Bonus reviews:

Interview with the Vampire (Season One)                   EH/OK
I’ll be honest; I don’t think I would’ve watched this adaptation (available on AMC) had it not been voted best TV series of 2022 in Rue Morgue Magazine.  I may not always agree with them, as much as I love the publication, but they do always make me curious.  I never read the source material, or anything by Anne Rice, for that matter, and the 1994 film starring Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise was never one of my favorites, but I don’t remember disliking it.  The story likely remains intact---a vampire during the present recounts a time in the past (Louisiana, 1920s) when he was turned and lived with his “creator.”  The characterizations are fine and there is violence, but this series is a slow burn; very, very slow, testing my patience a couple times (there are seven episodes all passing the 40-minute mark, the pilot being over an hour).  Looks like I disagreed with one of my favorite magazines again, but you never know until you check something out yourself, right?  There is a season two planned, but I don’t think I’ll continue; I gave this a shot.  Plus, I’d likely need to re-watch this season again beforehand which I don’t intend to do (I know, I say that now, but…whatever).  1/11/2023

Toga                                                                            OK
Upstate Story is an independent feature I was a fan of; I’ve since become friends with its multi-hyphenate star/director, Shaun Rose (you can check out my review for the film in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-outsider-season-one.html, and my review for the documentary on the making-of it, Making and Unmaking, in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2020/12/soul.html).  This film is a sequel to Upstate, so I suggest you watch that first (if you haven’t already).  It picks up seven years later as we witness Ellis (played again by Mr. Rose) living in a different location, but returning to his hometown (that being Saratoga Springs, New York) to take photos for an independent movie he’s working on.  This is once again a character study that’s mostly voiceover, Ellis being rather drab with the occasional sardonic wit, but someone we likely can all relate to.  Seeing media with characters that rival our own miserable lives, or having even worse ones, is often welcome due to its relatability (Roseanne is one of my favorite sitcoms for that reason, and I’ve been keeping up with The Conners too; these people are real!).  I totally related to some aspects of Ellis’s life---I, too, fear having to go to the bathroom while out in public (yes, getting old sucks); I, too, hated high school with a passion; I, too, still enjoy going on the swings in a park.  However, much like many sequels, I didn’t enjoy this as much as its predecessor, but it’s still a decent follow-up (at least the tone is consistent).  I also felt like it was too short---it is barely over an hour just like Upstate, but this time it seemed like it was cut off too soon---ultimately feeling like it was just part of another subsequent film to be.  If that is the case, I will definitely keep watching what you put out Shaun.  1/13/2023

***You can get the links to view Upstate Story and Making and Unmaking in the link above for the latter’s review, and you can view Toga here---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h64_fy-bB-M.***

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Chilling Visions:  5 Senses of Fear  >>>EH/OK

The House (2022)  >>>G
            (Netflix)

Hypochondriac  >>>EH

The Lair  >>>EH/OK

The Murder Podcast  >>>OK

The Pale Blue Eye  >>>EH/OK
            (Netflix)

Sick (2023)  >>>OK
       (Peacock)

Werewolf by Night  >>>OK
            (Disney+)

---Sean O.
1/14/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment