Monday, January 2, 2023

The Harbinger

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Harbinger                                                                        G
I am a fan of director Andy Mitton’s The Witch in the Window (you can read my review for it here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-witch-in-window.html).  I gave his other film, We Go On, an OK/G rating, and YellowBrickRoad (which he co-directed) 2 ½ stars out of 4 when I used to give star ratings (Looks like I gave them decent ratings, but I think I might need to revisit those films).  Therefore, I was looking forward to this new movie directed by him, especially after seeing it featured in the last issue of Rue Morgue.  It involves a woman reluctantly going to visit an old college roommate during the pandemic due to distressing nightmares she’s been having.  Eventually she begins to have nightmares too, ones containing the titular demon resembling a Plague Doctor, whom has a rather eerie agenda.  I think the paranoia and precaution dealt with during the beginnings of the pandemic were depicted really well, likely rivaling many of our own experiences.  Imagine enduring unsettling nightmares on top of that.  The themes may feel familiar, but there’s a generally disquieting air to the majority of screen-time.  I do get annoyed when you can’t tell if what you’re watching is real or imagined, and sometimes it did vex me here, but never in any major way (I think Andy made it work).  I also thought it was too short; some films overstay their welcome, while this one’s welcome didn’t stay enough.  The pros definitely outweigh the cons though, and Mr. Mitton is clearly a filmmaker I’ll keep an eye on.  1/1/2023

Bonus review:

Terror Train 2                                                             EH
The Terror Train remake was just released two months ago (you can read my review for it in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2022/10/spirit-halloween-movie.html)!  This sequel, also released on Tubi (meaning free), picks up a year later wherein survivors of the first film aboard the same train in order to move on from the past.  That’s usually not the best idea in movies, but then, of course, we wouldn’t have this unnecessary sequel to an unnecessary remake to a film that wasn’t great to begin with.   Did this film suck?  What do you think?  More importantly, what did you expect?  The kills were mostly lame and the script was poorly written.  Again, what did I expect?  I only watched it to be festive since it takes place on New Year’s and I watched it on New Year’s Eve.  Yeah, that’s probably what I tell myself, but my OCD would say different.  I really hope they don’t make a Terror Train 3, because that damn OCD will force me to watch it.  Happy New Year!  12/31/2022

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Christmas Freak  >>>EH

The Day After Halloween  >>>EH/OK

Do Revenge  >>>OK
   (Netflix)

Incantation (2022)  >>>B
   (In Mandarin with subtitles)

Peppermint Soda  >>>B
   (In French with subtitles)

Strange World  >>>OK

White Noise (2022)  >>>OK
            (Netflix)

---Sean O.
1/2/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment