Saturday, December 24, 2022

Nanny/Glass Onion

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nanny                                                                          OK/G
New film on Amazon Prime marketed as a horror drama, emphasis on the drama.  It works best as a character study above all.  The few “horror” elements we do see are kind of lame and the worst parts of the movie actually.  It involves a Senegalese woman in New York watching a couple’s young daughter in hopes of making enough money to bring over her young son from Africa.  She appears to be welcome at first until eventually she’s scolded for things like feeding the girl food she prepares herself and for not always keeping an eye on her (pertaining to one incident in the park).  The matriarch also hasn’t paid her for quite some time.  The ending is such a sucker punch to the gut; it is very depressing, thereby making it the most horrific aspect of the entire film.  12/17/2022

Glass Onion:  A Knives Out Mystery                          OK
According to my archives, I only gave Knives Out an EH rating; I definitely would’ve rated it higher the second time I watched it.  Only Daniel Craig’s detective character returns in this sequel (now available on Netflix) with a new set of characters, all of which congregate at the titular structure on an island in Greece for a murder mystery.  Initially things don’t go as planned, or so we’re lead to believe.  There are only so many ways to do a whodunit, let alone most types of movies, so a good group of characters are surely needed, which we do get to know most of them here a good deal.  Conventions are tinkered with a bit (it is sometimes well-written), but it is (expectedly) rather indistinguishable and does overstay its welcome at almost 2 ½ hours.  Like I said, there’s not too much you can expect from a whodunit/murder mystery/whatever-you-want-to-call-it anymore.  12/23/2022

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Eyes Wide Shut  >>>OK/G

The Loneliest Boy in the World  >>>EH

The Minute You Wake Up Dead  >>>EH/OK

Perfect Blue  >>>EH
   (In Japanese with subtitles)

Sole Survivor (1984)  >>>EH

Spooky+  >>>B/EH

---Sean O.
12/24/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment