Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio                                  OK/G
Two Pinocchio movies in one year?!  [You can check out my review for the other one released on Disney+ in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2022/09/snapperamerican-horror-stories-season-2.html].   According to research, there are at least 17 Pinocchio films (Pinocchio’s Revenge not being one that came up), and that’s not including TV variations.  No, I haven’t seen them all, not even close, the original 1940 Disney film never being one of my favorites from the company.  I was actually looking forward to this stop-motion Netflix release a bit since Guillermo del Toro was involved, he having style (often more than substance).  There definitely is style, the style itself being its primary redeeming quality.  Don’t get me wrong, if this was live-action, or even a different kind of animation, this likely would’ve been just another unnecessary update (there are only so many ways you can tell the same story).  Many of the familiar elements are here, but some stuff was omitted and some stuff was added---something I sort of admired about it.  Being that it’s roughly two hours, I got a bit impatient with it.  I didn’t expect there to be songs in this version either, but there weren’t too many.  Unique execution on the oft-adapted tale, that might get better with viewings, but I don’t think we need any more features involving the titular wooden puppet.  12/12/2022

Bonus review:

Let the Right One In (Season One)                             OK
I’m a fan of the 2008 Swedish film of the same name; I didn’t love it at first; I had to watch it more than once to eventually love it.  The 2010 remake, Let Me In, felt too fast-paced (as American remakes of non-American films often are) and was released much too soon after the original.  This new Showtime series is predominantly a drama; well, the original film was ultimately an indie coming-of-age film that contained vampires; this series contains vampires, and there is violence like the film, but it’s primarily a drama.  The story generally remains intact---a young vampire girl is protected by an older man (her father here) and befriends a young boy living in the same apartment building; the setting trades Sweden for New York.  Whereas the film generally focused on the young boy and his vamp friend while occasionally featuring ancillary characters, bullying being the central theme, this series focuses on more than just those two, such as both their single parents and people looking for a cure; the bullying here is just a minor subplot.  Being that it’s ten episodes roughly 50-minutes each (give or take), it does feel drawn out, even with all the other characters.  Perhaps I was instinctively comparing to the movie?  Or perhaps if I never saw the movie, or remake even, would I have appreciated this more?  Like always, questions I’ll never have answered, and this series would’ve never existed without the film, which itself wouldn’t have existed without the book it was based on by John Ajvide Lindqvist (I’m a fan of that book too).  This series was just okay, as my rating indicates.  As of now, there are no talks of a season two, but it’s definitely not over based on the ending of the last episode.  If they do continue, I won’t be in a rush to watch it, nor do I think I’ll really care, but I say that now…12/9/2022

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Dig (2022)  >>>EH

Emily the Criminal  >>>OK

Everything Everywhere All at Once  >>>OK
   (In Chinese with subtitles, and English)

Mistletoe Time Machine  >>>EH
               (Tubi)

What We Found  >>>EH/OK

---Sean O.
12/13/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment