Wednesday, May 29, 2019

The Witch in the Window


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


The Witch in the Window                                            VG
This ‘Shudder Exclusive’ may well be the best haunted house movie I’ve seen in quite some time.  It isn’t particularly scary, although one or two parts may frighten the more sensitive viewers, and there’s no violence or special effects; it’s just a simple yet effective, poignant New England gothic thriller that doesn’t overstay its welcome at barely 77-minutes.  The father-son dynamics alone are equally compelling and charming (the progressive father doesn’t assume his son is straight at one time).  The witch of the title, which is actually a ghost, makes her presence known quite early too.  What she wants isn’t exactly new, but it works well enough here, making the ending a bit melancholic yet not pussified like many ghost stories tend to be.   Unlike The Haunting of Hill House adaptation on Netflix, this is a fine example proving that horror and drama can effectively co-exist (brevity being an additional plus).  5/27/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Bleed (2016)  >>>B/EH

Death House  >>>VB

Ruin Me  >>>OK

Suburban Gothic  >>>OK


---Sean O.
5/29/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment