Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Talk to Me

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk to Me                                                                   OK
Australian horror film wherein teens develop a new way of partying.  A game involves someone being strapped to a chair, touching a hand prop in a handshake, uttering the three titular words, and telling the spirit they see that they’re allowed in (at least two suggestions are given as to where said hand came from); after 90 seconds the spirit stays in them permanently if the “door” isn’t closed.  If you’ve ever seen a horror movie I don’t think it needs telling that something eventually goes wrong.  Of course there wouldn’t be a movie if it didn’t, and where’s the fun if something doesn’t go wrong?  I was curious about this film largely due to the accolades it received, particularly in the horror community.  It currently has a 94% rating on Rotten Tomatoes out of 272 critics!  Instead of saying I should stop looking forward to seeing new movies, because I’m always going to want to see entertainment released (even if out of curiosity), I should just learn to never have high expectations.  I did see this going somewhere in the beginning, and there is an honorable sense of dread, but it felt lacking when all was said and done, cliché at times.  Plus, it seemed like it could’ve been much darker, especially the ending which hinted at something really dark, but truly just felt, again, cliché.  There was already a sequel announced shortly after this film’s theatrical release.  Perhaps the Philippou brothers will know what to improve on next time and possibly make this feel less limited and more of a companion piece.  Otherwise this is just another film that didn’t live up to the hype for me.  8/27/2023

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Killer Book Club  >>>EH
   (Netflix; In Spanish with subtitles)

The Long Dark Trail  >>>EH

They Wait in the Dark  >>>OK

---Sean O.
8/29/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment