Tuesday, August 22, 2023

The Outwaters

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Outwaters                                                             EH
In the beginning, we are informed that four people (2 men, 2 women) went missing and what we are about to see is footage that was found.  Yawn.  Like we haven’t seen that before almost every found footage film.  I had a little more hope for this film though given the publicity surrounding it, at least within the horror community.  Four people, as mentioned, go camping in the desert (Mojave, according to the beginning) to film music videos.  The first half of the film (it’s almost 2 hours!) is largely boring and I felt wasn’t really an intimate connection to the characters.  Like I said, all the publicity made me keep paying attention.  Halfway through it does get very bizarre and bloody, but that’s not exactly a compliment.  The majority of images we hardly get to see, being it’s night with very little light (from a flashlight, or camera light, whatever).  We hear noises and see glimpses of images, but how is that much different than reading a book or listening to an audio book if imagination is predominantly needed?  I wonder how much different I would’ve felt had it been a novel, novella, or short story (this was only written as a screenplay).  Sure, parts of this were very disorienting (which can work if done right) and disturbing, but ‘experimental’ doesn’t always mean something will work (Skinamarink didn’t work for me either; you can check out my review for that here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2023/02/skinamarink.html).  This ultimately didn’t work for me.  Sorry.  8/21/2023

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Asteroid City  >>>VB

Cabin Girl  >>>EH

LandLocked (2023; dir. Paul Owens)  >>>EH

Unseen (2023; dir. Yoko Okumura)  >>>OK

---Sean O.
8/22/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment