Monday, January 22, 2018

Mooby Reviews 1/22/18

Here are my newest film criticisms...

Camp Cool Kids                                                         EH

Movies set at camp always appeal to me.  Misspent youth I guess.  Camp movies are fun.  At least they’re supposed to be, even if they wouldn’t particularly be labeled good.  Ernest Goes to Camp fits that category.  Plus, it’s subjective bias stemming from nostalgia---it’s the first movie I recall seeing theatrically.  Meatballs is fun but far from being a masterpiece.  The Sleepaway Camp movies are fun, campy (!) and violent---always a welcome combination stemming from personal bias again.  This movie is neither fun nor good.  It’s as lame as the early ‘90’s Nickelodeon sitcom, Salute Your Shorts.  No, I was never a fan of that show despite being part of my generation.  This movie is probably even lamer than that.  It’s faith-based too which is always a downer for me.  I personally don’t care if people choose to be religious, I just don’t agree with any of it (especially if it’s hypocritical).  It wasn’t shoved in our faces the entire film, but still.  It’s a typical underdog tale where the “losers” eventually become the winners and an “underdog” eventually conquers his fear when the situation calls for it.  Spare me!  You won’t be a “cool kid” if you watch this.  1/14/2018

Circle                                                                          G

Fifty people wake up in a room with no recollection of how they got there.  Sounds like a rather familiar setup doesn’t it?  It is, but I wasn’t bored once.  The people are all placed on red circles in a circular pattern.  If they step off the circle, they die.  Each person has something implanted in their hand which allows them to “vote” (via arrows only each individual can see) for who gets to die.  If no one is chosen, someone is picked randomly.  The group consists of different backgrounds and ages so naturally that causes tension.  Someone or something is observing and controlling the machine (in the center of the circle) that doles out the killings; it’s no surprise but you do find out and it doesn’t ruin the film one bit.  This simplistic thriller is proof that recycled storylines can work if executed effectively and properly.  Imagine a feature length reimagining of the original Twilight Zone episode, “The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street.”  1/15/2018

Cold Moon                                                                  OK/G
In the beginning, I thought I was watching a sequel or update of I Know What You Did Last Summer set in Florida.  I liked how the killer was revealed right away instead of becoming a formulaic mystery.  Then it becomes a rather silly supernatural movie but does get darker and more serious towards the end.  It’s a slightly different, albeit nothing new, ghost story than what’s been released lately.  The conclusion is open-ended too but I was satisfied with either of my theories.  The film has the look, feel and pacing of a TV movie with elements of The Gift thrown in (the Sam Raimi movie, not the 2015 one), but I’d recommend it for horror fans to see at least once.  1/20/2018

Creep 2                                                                       EH/OK
Creep was decent, read the review in my archives (http://abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com, under the ‘All my reviews alphabetized A-M’ section).  Mark Duplass returns as the “creep” and this time allows a girl to film him for her website.  This treads roughly the same ground before the inevitable outcome.  The outcome could go one of two ways---either he eventually kills her or she kills him instead.  Well, one scenario does happen or at least appears to since we only assume someone was killed.  You know how characters somehow survive for sequels anymore.  Regardless of who survived at the end, I can see how this might continue.  If so, I hope Creep 3 is better because the gimmick wasn’t so fresh this time.  1/15/2018

Dunkirk                                                                       EH
However much this is based on fact matters to me none.  History has always been slightly fabricated throughout time.  I only care about the film itself and whether I enjoyed it.  I doubt Troy was entirely based on fact, but it was a good movie.  This movie was often ominous yet very much desultory and felt empty overall.  Thankfully it wasn’t over 2 hours like most war-based films are because this seemed long at just 106 minutes.  Sorry, Dunkirk lacked cohesion and failed to make me feel any kind of emotion.  1/15/2018

Hollow in the Land                                                     OK
I was reminded of Winter’s Bone while watching this.  Substitute Missouri with Canada though.  Leading lady, Dianna Agron, has the same determination as Jennifer Lawrence in a similarly bleak small town.  Instead of searching for her father, Dianna looks for her brother (often in trouble with law enforcement) after he goes missing following a murder he’s suspected of.  It’s a decent mystery but ultimately feels, how shall I say it, hollow!  I wasn’t a fan of Winter’s Bone initially either until I appreciated it as a dreary, Southern Gothic tale over time.  1/18/2018

Most Beautiful Island                                                  G
What some wouldn’t do for money and what those with money wouldn’t do for entertainment.  An immigrant woman in New York accepts a job from an immigrant friend without realizing it’s a front for something sinister.  Sure, we’ve seen and heard many ‘struggling immigrant’ tales before, but this short indie film is tense and foreboding with an interesting reveal.  1/20/2018

My Little Pony:  The Movie                                         EH
This is the recent Friendship is Magic-era movie despite bearing the same name as the 1986 original My Little Pony movie.  I am a brony, a grown male fan of My Little Pony for those that don’t know.  I don’t think sexuality plays a factor just as long as you have a penis and like My Little Pony.  I guess you can say I’m a hibernating brony since I haven’t kept up with it, don’t own any toys, nor love it like other self-proclaimed bronies.  I am a fan though.  I watched some of the Friendship is Magic episodes around its infancy and, being an ‘80’s kid, I used to watch the original cartoons and play with my older sister’s toys.  I vividly recall one where you twisted its head to suck its tail into its ass and then pull the tail back out.  Anyway, it’s a good thing this movie wasn’t my first impression of the magical fillies.  I suggest unfamiliars not see this before any of the episodes, both new and original, if you want to become fans.  I actually suggest no one, bronies and little girl fans included, see it even though I’m curious to hear what other fans would think of it.  This movie was flat and no fun with mostly corny songs.  1/16/2018

The Snowman                                                             EH
One of the most critically maligned movies of 2017 currently holding a 7% rating out of 161 critics on Rotten Tomatoes.  Poorly reviewed movies, especially if A-list, arouse my curiosity just as much, if not more, as critically acclaimed ones.  How bad could it really be being a thriller set and filmed in Norway starring Michael Fassbender?  It’s not the absolute worst film I’ve seen, but it’s still pretty bad.  There’s an interesting serial killer MO too involving human body parts juxtaposed with snowmen, but it happens too little.  Whodunit films aren’t impressive anymore.  Filmmakers need to understand we have to be engaged before the reveal.  I don’t even care who the killer turns out to be anymore (and it wasn’t such a shocker here) as long as I like the journey.  The film is mostly a bland police procedural with a hackneyed conclusion.  If this is a faithful adaptation of the famous Jo Nesbo book, I have no intention of reading it.  1/18/2018

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment