Saturday, October 27, 2018

Mooby Reviews 10/28/18

Here are my newest reviews...

Best.Worst.Weekend.Ever.:  Season One                    EH/OK

New Netflix series which I didn’t think had much potential during the first episode but thought could get better so I reluctantly continued.  Well, by episode three I could’ve stopped but figured since it was only 8 episodes all under 30 minutes, I’d stick it through since my mind would consistently nag at me for not finishing.  It involves three friends (two boys, one girl) that plan to attend Comic-Con in town during their last weekend before high school.  One thing after another goes wrong for them, but trust me, this series isn’t as fun as that may sound.  I just wasn’t feeling it.  It kind of has a Disney Channel vibe but more of a Nickelodeon series vibe, which wouldn’t be a bad thing at all, but I ultimately felt like I was too old for it and that’s never a good sign, especially for someone that enjoys all-ages entertainment.  I didn’t hate it by any means, but count me out if any more seasons are released.  10/23/2018

Down a Dark Hall                                                      OK/G

A “troubled” girl is forced to attend a boarding school in the middle of nowhere along with four other “troubled” girls.  She is warned by the headmistress (played by Uma Thurman) not to enter a specific room because it’s dangerous.  Clearly I don’t have to tell you that something is in that room and eventually one or more of the girls are going to enter it.  The girls are there for a reason and the reasoning was very clever (albeit familiar) and should’ve been expanded upon or introduced earlier.  It begins very much like a gothic thriller (staying that way for a while), becomes very bizarre for a bit, then finishes on a sappy note.  Credit is given for not knowing what to expect.  I also did not know it was based on a book by Lois Duncan, the late author of many young adult thrillers like Summer of Fear, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Killing Mr. Griffin, so I am a bit curious to read it now and compare.  10/19/2018

Halloween                                                                   EH/OK
Of course I’m going to think John Carpenter’s Halloween made 40 years ago is going to be better than any Halloween film ever released (as will hardcore fans).  Not only is it one of the best slasher movies, but it’s one of the best horror movies.  It might even be fair to say it’s one of the best movies period, although that’s a very subjective and difficult analysis to make, especially if you love movies.  Bottom line, the original Halloween is great.  Although I always hate hearing about sequels and remakes (the latter infinitely more than the former), I actually thought this sequel disregarding any of the sequels after 1978 could’ve been feasible since it was a realistic continuation of the original Halloween universe.  It sure felt like a subpar sequel though (I didn’t have too much fun with this).  John Carpenter (the original director) even provided the score, which was the best part of the movie; I think he should’ve directed it as well considering he is still alive.  This movie is full of people doing stupid things in which I mentally yelled at them for, even Jamie Lee Curtis’s character at one time.  The majority of the kills were nothing special either, most of them predictable since we basically knew when and where someone was going to get it.  I know, typical slasher film right?  Right, but back in the Seventies and Eighties when they were popular and didn’t yet have years of films to compare to.  In 2018, they could’ve made it a little more unique with distinctive kills and suspense.  And do you think Michael Myers is finally defeated?  Do I really need to tell you that he’s never going to be destroyed no matter what, now or ever, whether it appears so or not?  Was this sequel good?  Not really.  Was it bad?  Not exactly.  (My favorite parts were an offscreen kill involving a flashlight and the last 20 minutes).  Was it unnecessary?  Kind of.  10/20/2018

Haunted:  Season One                                                OK/G
New six-episode Netflix series that very much reminded me of Amazon’s Lore in that documentary techniques are interspersed with narrative re-enactments.  Whereas Lore dealt with mythological tales/legends, Haunted deals with people telling their first-hand experiences with otherworldly beings.  Before every episode, it is stated that the following is a true story; not based on a true story, is a true story.  Whenever I hear about “real” ghost stories, I always take it as hearsay since I myself didn’t see what they saw.  I’ll believe when I see.  I’ll be scared as shit if I ever see a ghost, but it would also be nice to know there’s something else outside this mortal coil.  Now, just because I may not believe in ghosts, doesn’t mean I don’t like to see or read about them; they are fun and very chilling if done right.  The title of this docuseries refers more to the memories and experiences these people still face; one episode involves aliens and another is a mixture of a backwoods slasher and satanic possession.  I personally would’ve preferred a narrative anthology series, but this approach is fine…I guess, and very much the same way I felt about Lore.  For this series, I think the first three episodes were good and the last three were just okay (episodes 4 and 6 being the weakest), hence my divided rating.  The aliens from episode five (“Alien Infection”) were pretty fucking cool though, which we could use more of in visual entertainment.  Overall, not a bad series to check out; all the episodes are short too despite some still feeling longer than they actually were, which is not a plus, but none were exactly a waste of time.  And if you’re easily spooked, you might want to steer clear.  10/22/2018

Hotel Transylvania 3:  Summer Vacation                   OK/G
I did enjoy Hotel TransylvaniaHotel Transylvania 2 was decent for a sequel.  Aside from not understanding why you would watch part 3 first, you kind of have to be familiar with the franchise as there are no formal introductions here; it’s assumed you know everyone (that isn’t new) already, so watch them in order (have a marathon while you’re at it).  It does contain the same-old, albeit potent and always relevant, message about overlooking everyone’s differences, but it’s a decent addition to the series for anyone even somewhat fans of the first two.  This entry is generally fun and harmless for everyone, even containing parts specifically for the young’uns.  There’s also, what I thought was, a fairly worthy nod to Aladdin in one scene.  Why did they have to use the “Macarena” of all songs in another scene though?  10/27/2018

The Legend of Halloween Jack                                   EH/OK
This is one of those movies I disliked but almost kind of liked too (I’m still not recommending it).  If only it had a better budget, better acting, less talky scenes, and violence that wasn’t mostly offscreen; the violence we did see was horrendous which proves the budget wasn’t there---one scene in the beginning, the blood appeared to be CG before instantly disappearing?!  It is very much set up like a slasher film but more of a revenge-beyond-the-grave body count film in the vein of The Crow and Dark Night of the Scarecrow.  I would’ve been okay with the simple plot if there weren’t too many flaws as mentioned above.  The resurrected killer with a “scarecrow” mask was acceptable, but he appears much less than those many aforementioned talky scenes (apparently they couldn’t properly fill out a barely 83-minute film).  About that terrible acting---it was so appalling at times; one scene in particular occurs at a Halloween dance at the end in which it was almost hilarious at how awful it was, but more cringe-inducing instead.  There were clips of “classic” horror films shown in the beginning (I hate using the word classic because it’s subjective and socially instilled) and I’m not sure why because I don’t see this film ever becoming a “classic.”  10/24/2018


Mr. Mercedes:  Season One                                        OK/G
Latest Stephen King adaptation as a ten-episode series (all episodes close to an hour) involving a retired detective bringing himself back into a case in which the titular killer ran down several people at a job fair.  At least there was no beating around the bush as to the killer’s identity since it was revealed in the first episode.  The killer manages to evade those around him for the majority of the series, including the detective played by Brendan Gleeson, whom he taunts with computer videos and random items to indicate he knows where he lives, possibly putting those around him in danger.  Like much of King’s work, we see the mundanity of these people’s lives but never bore of them, which is one thing Mr. King excels at---characterization; but since it’s a King-based work, we know everything is eventually going to go to shit and it’s just a matter of when, where, who, and what?  The who (as usual) is fairly obvious and the when/where/what wasn’t exactly grand, but most of the characters, even the vile ones, were once again made lovable enough to make you continue watching.  Of course if you’re a hardcore King fan like me, you’re going to watch it anyway.  It’s not one of his better adaptations, but not exactly a waste of time either.  I haven’t read the book yet (I own it but it’s on my long list of titles to read) so I had nothing to compare to.  A second season was already made, but unless it contains more action and equally good characterizations, I already think it overstayed its welcome.  Knowing me though, I’m probably going to watch it anyway.  Hail to the King!  10/24/2018

Occupation                                                                  EH

It’s Independence Day, but not quite, only in Australia.  There are alien invaders, not tentacled, and they’re passable, concealed or not.  I actually thought it was going to be a pretty decent alien invasion film at first, despite looking like a low-budget direct-to-video release.  At two hours though, it felt like two movies, and I couldn’t wait for the “second movie” to be over.  10/26/2018


Three Identical Strangers                                            G

They say that everyone has a twin.  Well, imagine finding out you are a twin one day.  Better yet, imagine finding out you’re a triplet.  That’s the dilemma the three identical strangers, separated at a very early age from an adoption center in New York, faced in this documentary.  Apparently they became fairly famous when they all met in 1980, even owning a restaurant called Triplets at one time.  I was born in 1982 so of course I wouldn’t remember hearing about them, but I wonder if my parents or older relatives remember.  I’m sure it happens every day where people not only find out they were adopted, but at least a twin as well, so initially I didn’t understand what made their story so special.  Well, their story is definitely unique all right, seemingly straight out of a sci-fi or Twilight Zone tale.  I was surprised at how dark and depressing it actually became.  I don’t want to reveal too much in case you don’t know the actual story (like I didn’t beforehand).  This is compelling stuff indeed that might make you think twice about adoption agencies as well as bring up the nature vs. nurture debate and whether certain conditions may be hereditary.  It made me wonder if it would’ve been better as a narrative film, which might’ve worked or will work if made in the future, but presenting it as a documentary might’ve been the more effective route considering this truly bizarre tale involving a dark conspiracy actually happened.  Sometimes, at least here, truth really is stranger than fiction.  10/20/2018


Unfriended:  Dark Web                                               OK
In-name sequel only as it bears no connection to Unfriended, which makes me wonder why it wasn’t simply titled Dark Web?  I remember thinking Unfriended was decent for what it was worth and involved a girl haunting her tormenters online after she killed herself.  This one is filmed the same way as if viewed by one or more people online and involves a guy getting mixed in with dangerous activity after stealing a laptop from a lost and found.  He’s given ultimatums or else people will die and now all his friends he’s chatting with online are involved.  The format may not be so novel anymore, but it somehow still keeps you glued to the screen---some parts you actually have to lean forward or squint to read the Facebook messages which the filmmakers should’ve worked on enlarging somehow.  I ultimately didn’t think it got as dark as it could have and I’ve seen this all before (format and content), therefore making it an undistinguished entry.  10/18/2018

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment