Monday, September 12, 2022

Snapper/American Horror Stories (Season 2)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Snapper:  The Man-Eating Turtle Movie That
            Never Got Made                                              OK/G
New documentary from the same guy that gave us the Pet Sematary doc (which you can read my review for here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2019/04/unearthed-untold-path-to-pet-sematary.html) basically about what the title says.  Snapper was a creature-feature filmed around the late 80’s/early 90’s that never got the proper funding.  What a shame too, because I can’t recall a single movie about a killer turtle.  Snapper turtles can be dangerous too, a clip involving a watermelon being proof here, and I recall a theory put out that a snapper may have been responsible for the children the West Memphis Three were blamed for.  The practical design looked really cool too!  Kudos to John Campopiano for keeping this just shy of 30 minutes to avoid overstaying its welcome.  That was the problem with his other recently-released doc, Pennywise:  The Story of It (both available on Screambox), since it was a little over 2 hours and mostly felt like a flat behind-the-scenes featurette (it’s a shame too since I’m a big fan of the original IT).  On the other hand, I would’ve liked to have seen a bit more in this feature, namely more footage from the unreleased film (which could definitely benefit from a better budget).  That being said, I hope enough people see this to enable distributors/financers out there to finally fund this picture!  Please though, for the love of all that is good cinema, keep the effects practical, if not the same exact ones!  9/6/2022

American Horror Stories (Season 2)
You can check out my review for the previous season of this anthology spinoff series available on FX and Hulu here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2021/08/the-conjuring-3american-horror-stories.html.  This season contains 8 episodes all minimally 40-minutes but under 50.  I can’t exactly say any of these episodes were great, but my favorite was probably the first one, “Dollhouse,” involving kidnapped women tested for a specific purpose; it ends up being a prequel to a certain AHS season.  “Aura” is about a security system that allows dead people to communicate with the living, and really just ends up being a fairly run-of-the-mill ghost story.  Twists have been used time and time again wherein they aren’t too much of a shock anymore, even if I may not predict them beforehand (trust me, there isn’t much I haven’t seen given all that I’ve watched and read).  Needless to say, I need to be entertained before the twist since it’s so easy to tack one on to a rather dull story thinking it will instantly make it better (and enable repeat viewings).  That was the problem with episodes “Drive” and “Bloody Mary,” the former involving a married woman in an open relationship believing one of her flings is out to get her, the latter involving the titular urban legend and wishes that come with a price.  “Milkmaids” was a decent 18th-century tale involving curses, cannibalism, and paranoia stemming from speculations, but ends up overstaying its welcome a bit by having one thing after another occurring; some parts were actually icky too.  “Facelift” which, at first, reminded me a bit of Death Becomes Her and The Eye involves an older woman yearning to look younger; eventually we learn her plastic surgeon has a sinister plan for her; decent when all is said and done, even if it felt overly familiar.  “Necro” contains a rather twisted romance between (yes) two living people and was probably one of the better ones, while the final episode, “Lake,” has all the fix-ins for a standard revenge-beyond-the-grave tale---family history involving murder, truth coming to light, evil character getting what they deserve; I did like the scene at the end when certain beings came out of the water.  All in all, not a great collection, middling if that (at least half of them decent, the others not completely terrible), but anthology shows often have a possibility of being hit or miss regardless of budget and talent.  And how original can you truly be anymore?  9/11/2022

Bonus review:

Pinocchio                                                                    OK
Live-action remake just released on Disney+.  Well, mostly live-action with a few CGI elements.  This story about the eponymous wooden puppet yearning to become a real boy has been adapted countless times, another version helmed by Guillermo del Toro arriving on Netflix later this year (which I’m actually looking forward to), so this is nothing new.  Now, the original animated film was never one of my favorite Disney movies; in fact, it’s probably one of my least favorites, at least released before the millennium.  Now, I don’t dislike it and probably liked it enough to own a copy (or that could just be my OCD in wanting to own the majority of Disney movies).  This Robert Zemeckis-helmed version happens exactly how you know it will.  Granted, I didn’t hate it like I really thought I would beforehand; I watched out of curiosity, like always.  There are some wondrous scenes to behold---i.e. the clocks in Geppetto’s workshop (played by Tom Hanks here), the puppet show, and Pleasure Island---but I don’t think the world would grieve if this adaptation never existed.  Plus, the donkey transformation scene wasn’t quite as disturbing as that of the original animated one.  9/8/2022

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

The Andy Baker Tape  >>>EH/OK

Beans  >>>G

The Bear (Season One)  >>>OK/G
            (Hulu; 8 episodes)

Devil in Ohio (Season One)  >>>EH/OK
            (Netflix; 8 episodes)

Hatching  >>>EH
   (In Finnish with subtitles)

Infrared  >>>EH

Pennywise:  The Story of IT  >>>EH/OK
            (Screambox)

Requiem for a Scream  >>>EH
            (Tubi)

The Resort (Season One)  >>>EH
   (Peacock; 8 episodes)

Stoker Hills  >>>EH

We Need to Do Something  >>>OK

Wyrmwood:  Apocalypse  >>>EH

---Sean O.
9/12/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment