Thursday, April 11, 2019

Unearthed & Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
--------------------------------------------------------------------


Unearthed & Untold:  The Path to Pet Sematary       G
Seeing as the remake was just released, and no, I’m in no rush to see it even though I will eventually (unfortunately) and try as I may to keep an open mind when I do (as hard as it will be), I felt it was the perfect time to see this documentary on the making of the original film that’s currently available on Tubi (an app/channel that offers free movies and TV shows, F.Y.I.).  Pet Sematary is one of the first Stephen King-based adaptations I saw as a preteen when initially developing an interest in the author, and while it did disturb me, I loved it and it will always hold a special place in my heart.  I have read the book (years later) and do remember it being different (as many of his stories and adapted works are) and more disturbing in the psychological sense since you were actually inside Louis Creed’s head.  I like the movie more though (part of it could be nostalgia, yes) and liked the sequel enough.  I don’t think I need to repeat how much I dislike remakes if you’ve ever read any of my reviews before (in case, I don’t like remakes; I find the majority, if not all, of them unnecessary).  Granted, there are some that I didn’t hate, maybe even liked---The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, Piranha, Children of the Corn, House of Wax, I Spit on Your Grave, Silent Night, The Last House on the Left, Night of the Living Dead, My Bloody Valentine, etc.---but I still prefer the original (at least the one I saw first) the majority of the time.  I’m baffled at all the love, even from Mr. Stephen King himself, the Pet Sematary remake has received so far; or at the love given to any remake that wasn’t that great (It being one coming to mind).  They’re all just encouraging more remakes!  [I hate that Pet Sematary is now another film I have to say ‘the original’ in front of when referencing it!].  Anyway, this documentary makes no mention of the remake (as this was initially released 2 years ago).  I’m sure many of the information provided here could’ve been found in a book or somewhere on the World Wide Web, but not everyone likes to read and, arguably, sometimes it’s easier to retain information when there’s a visual accompaniment.  I, myself, actually learned a thing or two, including a certain star being a twin and how specific set locations were altered.  I did already know that a certain character wasn’t played by their assumed gender (I won’t reveal who in case some of you actually don’t know).  Part of the appeal in being a film fan, horror especially, is talking to like-minded individuals and seeing documentaries like this is very similar since you’re seeing and hearing others talk about the film(s) you like.  It’s hard to say if this is the definitive documentary on the film, but they did manage to get quite a few interviews, including minor characters like those playing Jud and Rachel as children.  I can imagine fans of the original Pet Sematary would be the most interested, although I wouldn’t exclude those with a general interest in filmmaking or those with open minds either.  My rating is for Pet Sematary (the original) fans though, or Stephen King completists.  4/10/2019


Bonus review:


The Dirt                                                                       G
Despite the voiceover in the beginning stating the Eighties was a terrible decade, I actually dig a lot of the music and movies from that decade.  Of course I may have more of an appreciation since I was born in 1982 and wasn’t quite old enough to enjoy much during the actual time.  Hair metal was one of the musical subgenres then, which generally consisted of androgynous members, usually men (although there were a few female hair bands, i.e. Vixen and Lita Ford).  Yes, I’m a fan.  This Netflix biopic covers Motley Crue during their formative years up to the Nineties.  While I do like enough songs to call myself somewhat of a fan, I was never into them as much as other hair bands like Twisted Sister, Guns N’ Roses, Poison, and Bon Jovi; and since I never extensively followed them, I didn’t know everything about them other than what they became notorious for (i.e. trashing hotel rooms and doing drugs---but how many similar bands can you not say that about?).  That being said, I can’t say how much truth there was to any of this, but the original band members had a hand in the production so there has to be some truth to it, right?  Seeing it received 40% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 62 critics though, maybe others knew more than I did?  (There’s a rather vulgar scene involving Ozzy that I actually believe could’ve happened, but I wonder if it actually did because I don’t remember hearing about it).  Despite containing the same ingredients for a general rock biopic (forming a band, touring, dealing with personal issues, hitting rock bottom, picking themselves up again) and some questionable casting choices (Machine Gun Kelly, Pete Davidson), all I know is that I saw a raw and often fun film about a bunch of “wild” boys that was likely all the more interesting being based on a real band known for its infamy.  I actually enjoyed this more than Bohemian Rhapsody.  4/10/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Exposure  >>>OK

The Favourite  >>>EH

HIM  >>>B

Mercy Black  >>>EH

Mirai  >>>OK/G

Mortal Engines  >>>EH

A Place in Hell  >>>EH

Primal Rage  >>>G

Unicorn Store  >>>EH/OK


---Sean O.
4/11/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment