Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Dumbo


--------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
--------------------------------------------------------------------


Dumbo                                                                                    EH
Dumbo is one of my favorite Disney movies (at least more so when I was much younger) and Tim Burton is one of my favorite directors, so nothing (including mixed reviews) was going to stop me from seeing this live-action remake (apparently this is the only time its ever been remade too) as much as I dislike remakes (in case you’ve never heard me mention it numerous times before), and as much as I dislike CGI (in case you’ve never heard me mention it numerous times before).  The CGI elephants did look very close to being realistic though (I would hope so considering Tim Burton’s stature).  I hate to say it, but this film was flat and actually bored me a couple times.  The original animated film was a scant 64 minutes while this update was almost 2 hours, so you  can imagine all that extra time being filled, namely with more human characterizations.  There was more excitement crammed into the 64-minute animated film and all the emotional scenes this time failed to move me.  I’m sure every Tim Burton fan (like myself) would love for him to make another Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, or Sweeney Todd, but we’ll settle for the Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and even Big Eyes, as long as they’re good.  This, unfortunately, is just another unnecessary remake which I would’ve been in no hurry to see (bargain times or not) had there been a different director at the helm.  Tim Burton, you need a comeback!  4/2/2019

Bonus review:


Seven in Heaven                                                          G
This begins like a regular teen movie with the obligatory house party before becoming an “alternate reality” film with a hidden closet in a bedroom acting as the interdimensional portal.  [For those unaware, ‘Seven Minutes in Heaven’ traditionally involves a boy and girl going into a closet together for seven minutes if they refuse to make out during a party game, i.e. ‘Spin the Bottle’].  It’s similar to The Jacket in premise only whereas that film jumped between years while this film stayed on the same date in different parallel realities.  The reasoning behind the closet’s “gateway” ability is inexplicable, although an utterly preposterous theory is suggested (aren’t they usually in stories like this?) that it might as well be inexplicable.  I wish the premise was expanded upon, which it very well could’ve been, but I enjoyed this enough to warrant a recommendation.  Plus, it’s really well-shot with great use of lighting, especially red, and could very well pass as a dark Twilight Zone episode (feature length of course).  4/2/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Beneath the Leaves  >>>OK

London Fields  >>>B

The Mule  >>>EH/OK

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms   >>>OK


---Sean O.
4/3/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment