Monday, April 15, 2019

The Silence


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


The Silence                                                                  OK
Another post-apocalyptic film?!  A Quiet Place, Bird Box, Ravenous, and How It Ends are just a few of the many recent titles coming to mind.  This one, available on Netflix like three of those films, stars Stanley Tucci and “Sabrina” (Kiernan Shipka) and is based on a book by Tim Lebbon, an author whom I’ve read several titles of, not this one.  It resembles A Quiet Place the most as the creatures here are attracted to sound and can’t see.  (Like I wondered in A Quiet Place, how do these people go to the bathroom if they have to worry about noise?).  The creatures in this film, called Vesps, resemble Pterodactyls with the mouth of a T-Rex (kinda).  In other words, they can tear you apart as evidenced at times.  I didn’t hate them but still think they belonged in a subpar SyFy channel movie.  I did like them better than the creatures in A Quiet Place which, if you recall from my review (if not, check out my archives at www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com), was what ruined A Quiet Place for me.  As for whether you should spend time watching this particular post-apocalyptic film, I’m not entirely sure.  If you love post-apocalyptic films as a subgenre, are a fan of Tim Lebbon or “Sabrina,” I’d say go ahead.  I, for one, didn’t hate it, thought a few parts were actually cleverly written, and might’ve enjoyed it more than A Quiet Place (I also didn’t expect much from this entry either), but I don’t think I’ll watch it again.  Also, I thought it was a bit short, but I’m unsure if that’s actually a criticism because had it been longer, I might’ve complained about that.  4/15/2019


Bonus review:


Kittie:  Origins/Evolutions                                           G
I’ve been a metalhead since 7th grade (I’m 36 now).  When Kittie came out around the millennium, not too many women (let alone all-girl bands) were in metal.  Unfortunately, whenever you’re in an industry wherein you don’t fall into the majority (in metal, straight white males, emphasis on the male), you’re always going to stand out.  Sure, there were all-girl bands like L7 and Drain STH at the time, but they weren’t nearly as heavy, or at least consistently heavy, the former being more punkish and the latter having an equal amount of soft/heavy songs and not gaining as much popularity despite playing Ozzfest twice!  I remember someone saying at the time in a magazine that Kittie became popular solely for being girls and wouldn’t have been if they were dudes playing the same songs.  That may be (refer back to my majority comment), but at least Kittie were good.  I was a big fan of their first album (Spit) pretty much in its entirety and liked their second album (Oracle) enough (though not as much) to still consider myself a fan, enough to get a band T-shirt that I still have (I also saw them at Ozzfest 2000 which was the first one I attended).  By the time their third album came out (Until the End), they started to sound weaker but I thought they were still okay.  They got worse after that, making me lose interest and thus faded away, only coming to mind when mentioned or while wearing the band T-shirt.  When I heard of this documentary covering their entire career (in a little more than 90 minutes), I was definitely interested.  I always like to read/see interviews of bands even if I’m not a fan, more so if I actually am/was a fan, because I like when artists are given human qualities.  Seeing this definitely brought back memories (nostalgia!); it seems like many of my best memories involve entertainment (introvert!), and ironically, the coverage on albums when I wasn’t a fan were the least interesting parts of the film, but I still wanted to keep watching.  My rating is for fellow Kittie fans (now or ever), as I would imagine they’d be the most interested in checking this out, but if you’re interested in any kind of musical history, are a feminist, or open-minded, I’m not discouraging you from tuning in either!  4/13/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Blood Fest  >>>EH

Everfall  >>>G

Mail Order Monster  >>>EH/OK

68 Kill  >>>OK/G


---Sean O.
4/15/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment