Sunday, October 30, 2022

High School/Wendell & Wild

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

High School (Season One)
Tegan and Sara, if you didn’t know, are a Canadian pop duo that are twin sisters, and also both lesbians.  I am a fan of some of their music; they gots some catchy tunes.  This Freevee series is based on a memoir of the same name by them, created by Clea DuVall, a lesbian actress from films such as The Faculty, Identity, and But I’m a Cheerleader (she wrote and directed some of the episodes here).  It’s a coming-of-age series following the twin sisters as they begin high school and navigate the typical teen waters as they learn who they are.  Each episode focuses on more than one character, not just them (friends, parents, etc. are also featured).  I generally enjoyed these 8 episodes that go by quickly (all under 30-minutes; more shows need to be that way), and I’m not sure if it’s partly because I’m aware of the people it’s based on, or the nostalgia it evoked since I too was a teenager in the Nineties (even though it took place in Canada, much of it felt familiar---a time before cell phones and excessive Internet usage).  The story obviously isn’t over and I actually hope it’s not over!  10/28/2022

Wendell & Wild                                                           OK/G
New stop-motion film available on Netflix directed by Henry Selick, the man behind other great stop-motion flicks like The Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, and Coraline.  Key and Peele voice the titular demons from the underworld (Jordan Peele also produced and co-wrote the screenplay) that are brought to the land of the living after promising to do something for a girl names Kat.  Naturally things go awry for everyone at first.  Although it may be dark thematically, its tone is largely whimsical.  While I didn’t like it as much as the other Selick films mentioned, although it may be too soon to tell (I do feel this may age better), I enjoyed it enough.  Like the aforementioned films, it is very imaginative at times and stunning to look at.  [For those that care about representation, it seems like mostly everyone was featured, even an American Indian].  Perhaps I expected more from it the first time (I do feel it could’ve gone more places given the subject matter) and didn’t truly get to appreciate it yet.  I’ll definitely watch it again, eventually.  10/30/2022

Bonus review:

Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities
Anthology series available on Netflix wherein 2 episodes were released over 4 days (the first instance I’m aware of a show not all available the first day on the channel; you can binge them all now), all but two roughly an hour.  Guillermo del Toro just created it and introduces each of the 8 episodes (he only wrote 2 of them) directed by different filmmakers (they being Guillermo Navarro, Vincenzo Natali---Cube, Splice, In the Tall Grass, David Prior---The Empty Man, Ana Lily Amirpour---A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, Keith Thomas---The Vigil, Firestarter remake, Catherine Hardwicke---Thirteen, Twilight, Panos Cosmatos---Mandy, and Jennifer Kent---The Babadook).  It generally wasn’t a bad series, definitely not grand, each episode giving a feel for the characters and the environment they live in before ending up in horrifically bizarre, often Lovecraftian, territory (ironically only 2 segments are based on Lovecraft’s work).  The foreboding “Lot 36” involves a man winning the titular storage unit after a bid, said storage unit containing more than meets the eye.  “Graveyard Rats” is about a graverobber that comes across bigger problems (literally) than rats in the graves he robs; contains a Tales from the Crypt-like comeuppance.  “The Autopsy” ends up being very strange about a parasitic alien, but it is tied up rather cleverly.  “The Outside” is very strange, occurring around Christmas, and depicts a woman deemed unattractive developing a rather unorthodox relationship with this lotion promising to make her “attractive.”  Although truly outlandish, it was definitely compelling (I was reminded of The Tommyknockers at one time although it’s not like that film at all).  “Pickman’s Model” was a slow burn before culminating quite brutally.  “Dreams in the Witch House” was also part of the Masters of Horror series, directed by Stuart Gordon; I think I liked that version better, but this one, which was quite different with some similarities, was fine too.  “The Viewing” was probably my least favorite, being very slow about a group of people summoned to a gathering wherein the eventual introduction of an obelisk leads to deadly consequences (I wasn’t a fan of the creature effects either).  Lastly, “The Murmuring” is a gothic-lite ghost story with tons of atmosphere that finishes a bit too upbeat (and bland) as many ghost stories often tend to (“Rick” from The Walking Dead stars).  Most of these tales probably looked better on paper which is likely what made most of them intriguing on a script level.  The majority of creature designs, obviously CGI (boo!), weren’t terrible, but I was never the biggest fan of most otherworldly beings influenced by Lovecraft/Giger/etc.  I will tune in if another season is created, yes, since I love horror anthologies.  Well, at least I look forward to them…10/28/2022

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

The Good Nurse  >>>EH
            (Netflix)

Pumpkins  >>>B/EH

Run Sweetheart Run  >>>EH/OK
            (Amazon Prime)

---Sean O.
10/30/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment