Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Spirit Halloween: The Movie

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Spirit Halloween:  The Movie                                     OK/G
As much as I love Halloween and any memorabilia associated with it, Spirit Halloween stores contain ridiculously overpriced items.  I’ve obtained neat spooky stuff at the dollar store and Wal-mart, and even scored some good items with coupons at CVS.  In this film, three middle school boys (eventually joined by one of their older sisters) agree to spend Halloween night in one of the stores after it closes.  A ghost (played by Christopher Lloyd) possesses items in the store while trying to possess one of the kids (you’ll learn why if you watch).  This was mostly a fun gateway horror flick (it’s rated PG-13 which I’m guessing is because some scenes may frighten the younger ones) that doesn’t overstay its welcome at barely 81-minutes (I actually wanted more).  The effects, mostly practical (points), were generally passable.  Perfect for the holiday season.  10/25/2022

Bonus reviews:

Terror Train                                                                EH
The original Terror Train was never one of my favorite slasher movies, and I wasn’t much a fan of this remake (available on Tubi) at all.  I recalled the original as I was watching this, therefore it’s likely more of a replica than a re-imagining.  Sure, there may be a few things altered, but I didn’t watch the original recently so I’m not exactly sure.  The story involves a group of college students having a costume party aboard a train wherein a masked killer begins offing them throughout the night.  There was a cool clown mask here, which I don’t remember in the original, but it wasn’t utilized the majority of the time.  Some of the kills were okay here, but this film was largely a bore.  Add this to the pile of unnecessary remakes (to a film I don’t deem a classic anyhow), or just unnecessary movies period.  10/21/2022

Sewer Gators                                                              EH/OK
(haiku review)
Laughably bad?  Sure.
What the hell do you expect?
Barely an hour.  10/25/2022

Maneater                                                                     EH
(haiku review)
Another shark flick?!
Another one not that great!
Bloody?  Sure.  Still sucked.  10/25/2022

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Bodies Bodies Bodies  >>>B/EH

The Ghost Lights  >>>EH

The Invitation (2022)  >>>EH

Mid-Century  >>>EH

Significant Other  >>>OK/G
            (Paramount+)

Torn Hearts  >>>OK/G

Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo!  >>>EH

Under Wraps 2  >>>OK

The Watcher (2022)  >>>EH/OK
            (Netflix; 7 episodes)

Where the Scary Things Are  >>>EH

---Sean O.
10/26/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment