Saturday, October 8, 2022

Beast/Dahmer/Hellraiser

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Beast                                                                           G
In case you didn’t see a preview, Idris Elba plays a man taking his two daughters (one teen, one younger) to Africa near the village their late mother was from.  They eventually go on a ride with a friend into an area that’s closed to the public (never a good sign) and come across a lion gone rogue that begins to pursue them.  The night before his entire pride was slaughtered by poachers, so do you really blame the lion for going rogue?  Unfortunately all humans in his territory become prey though.  I remember thinking the lion looked crappy in the preview, but it actually looked fine when I watched it.  This movie ended up being better than I thought it would be.  Sure, it may not seem too distinguishable from other films in the natural horror subgenre (Orca and 2007’s Prey came to mind the most---the latter another killer lion flick I recommend), and it started to feel a bit padded out towards the end (even at roughly 90 minutes), but for simply being exactly what it intended to be and nothing more, and for enjoying it enough, I’m going to recommend it.  Currently available on Peacock.  10/7/2022

Dahmer – Monster:  The Jeffrey Dahmer Story          OK/G
I heard several people say they stopped watching this Netflix series because it was too gruesome.  Well, if you know anything about Jeffrey Dahmer (played here by Evan Peters), he was a serial killer that often ate his victims.  For the younger crowd that may never knew of him before this, okay.  Some parts may be gruesome to the average viewer, yes, but it’s nothing I haven’t seen before and I had somewhat of an idea what I was getting into.  I’ve seen at least two movies that come to mind on the serial killer, one being My Friend Dahmer, which you can read my review for in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2018/03/mooby-reviews-31818.html.  As you’ll see in my review for that film (if you read it), I said this about visual media involving real-life serial killers---On one hand, you’re promoting them and basically telling modern serial killers they’ll too be made famous one day.  On the other hand, you can’t deny they’re part of history and do make for morbidly compelling sociological studies.  It is true, even though you never have to support anything you don’t want to.  History is rife with violence though, so one should argue whether anything horrific that happened in the past should be depicted.  I’ll admit this series did make me want to keep watching in the beginning.  It does lose a bit of steam towards the end, but there are ten episodes all roughly between 50 and 60 minutes, so it was bound to happen.  One thing I do like that they did was shine some light on one of the victims (the deaf kid) in an episode, which I think should occur more often in serial killer-related pictures as the killers are often glorified and the majority of victims rarely remembered; plus, that sort of makes it more disturbing knowing what happened to these people that are humanized.  They also showed how his actions affected others around him, like his one next door neighbor and his father.  Will real-life serial killers ever stop being promoted?  Likely not, but, again, you never have to promote anything you don’t want to.  Currently there is a new 3-episode documentary series also released on Netflix entitled Conversations with a Killer: The Jeffrey Dahmer Tapes.  Is this the year of Dahmer?  10/7/2022

Hellraiser                                                                    EH
I was never the biggest fan of the original.  I did watch it a couple times when I was younger, I’ll admit, and I did meet the original Pinhead, Doug Bradley, more than once (while expressionless, he’s a pretty chill dude).  I actually thought parts of it were, dare I say, gross (yes, I do get sickened by some gore).  There are ten films other than this one and I believe I’ve only seen up to part three (that’s how much I care about the franchise).  This Hulu update may contain some of the same concepts as the original, but it is a quite different film (Pinhead played by a woman has nothing to do with it either; the character here is pretty androgynous anyway).  It was worse though, as remakes/re-imaginings often are.  Even though it was 2-hours, it hardly felt like there was much substance to it (it seemed like it could’ve lead somewhere compelling in the beginning too).  It may not be as gory as the original, but it definitely has its moments (I wasn’t a fan of the gore here either; not so much on a repulsed level, more on an ‘I wasn’t impressed’ level).  I just wasn’t a fan.  Again, it was never one of my favorite franchises to begin with.  10/7/2022

Bonus reviews:

Mr. Harrigan’s Phone                                                OK
I did read the story from Stephen King’s 2020 collection, If It Bleeds, and according to my review of the book, I said it was “simple with an air of predictability.”  That’s pretty much how I would describe this adaptation available on Netflix (I didn’t remember much from the story before watching).  It’s largely a coming-of-age drama with a dash of thriller involving a boy given the task of reading books to the man of the title due to his diminishing eyesight.  He does this from a young age all the way through high school until the old man passes.  Before he died, the boy gifted him a cell phone and he appears to still receive messages from him posthumously, among other things.  It does contain that cozy ‘small town in New England’ vibe common for a Stephen King tale (here, it takes place in Maine, as they often do).  One of my dreams is to live in such a town; the harsh winters being the main reason preventing that dream.  Anyway, the narrative feels rushed at times, it doesn’t get as ominous as it could be, and it felt incomplete by the time it was over.  Ultimately, like my description of the story, it’s simple with an air of predictability.  Part of me did enjoy that cozy ‘small town in New England’ vibe though (perhaps why my rating may seem a tad too kind).  Not one of the best King adaptations.  10/6/2022

Phantom Pups (Season One)                                      OK
(haiku review)
Corny but cute-ish.
Fine for the entire fam.
Perfect season too.  10/6/2022

*Netflix; 10 episodes*

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Cosmic Dawn  >>>EH

No Exit (2022)  >>>OK
            (Hulu)

The Summoned  >>>OK

---Sean O.
10/8/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment