Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Slash/Back

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Slash/Back                                                                   OK/G
You’ll be reminded of John Carpenter’s The Thing initially, and one character even describes moments from that film.  Luckily it isn’t too much like it though, a film I find overrated.  I was also reminded of flicks like Slither and Attack the Block, more so the latter; this film involves a group of young girls from an Inuit community in the Arctic called Pang (short for a longer name) banding together to save their town from an alien invasion.  I liked it better as a coming-of-age story, especially since it represents a community we don’t often see in narrative form.  The effects are CGI, but we don’t see too much of it and they actually aren’t awful (the main reason I’m not a fan of John Carpenter’s The Thing is the way the effects look, even though they were practical).  All in all, not a bad addition to the alien invasion subgenre; it just needed a little more meat on its bones and seemed like it ended too soon.  11/18/2022

Bonus review:

Lamb (2021)                                                               G
(haiku review)
Bizarre arty film.
It’s very, very bizarre.
Very unique though.  11/17/2022

*In Icelandic with subtitles*

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

American Horror Story:  NYC  >>>OK
   (FXNow/Hulu; 10 episodes)

Black Friday (2021)  >>>OK

Demonic (2021)  >>>OK

Raven’s Hollow  >>>EH

The Sadness  >>>OK
   (In Mandarin with subtitles)

Smile  >>>EH/OK

Student Body (2022)  >>>EH/OK

Unhuman  >>>OK

---Sean O.
11/22/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment