Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Terrifier 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrifier 2                                                                    OK/G
Terrifier is a film that was better the second time.  You can read my review for it in here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2018/06/mooby-reviews-61318.html.  I probably expected too much from it the first time, but it’s really just a short, mean-spirited bloodbath, and what more could you possibly desire from an evil clown flick?  Art the Clown is one sadistic MFer and certainly has even more fun brutally slaughtering people in this sequel that’s almost an hour longer (138-minutes, to be exact; the first one was roughly 84).  It picks up right after its predecessor, taking place on and around Halloween.  I don’t know if you heard of complaints that this movie was too violent; well, it’s definitely gory, but very over-the-top (much like the first), meaning you know you’re watching a movie.  Trust me, all the violent films I’ve seen in my lifetime, I’ve seen ones that were much more nauseating.  It surely tops the first one in the gore department though, as gory as that one was.  True horror fans are the ones this was made for to begin with, as well as those that are even somewhat fans of the last one (needless to say, like always, why would you want to watch a sequel to a movie you didn’t see, or like?).  Some parts may be a little too over-the-top, and the runtime does make it slightly feel drawn out, but it’s generally a fun sequel (I feel it may age better with more viewings, like its predecessor).  Oh, and this is yet another film wherein someone is watching the original Night of the Living Dead!  11/13/2022

Bonus review:

The Sawyer Massacre                                                 OK
Fan film available on YouTube that’s a prequel to Tobe Hooper’s original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre, taking place in 1965.   Fan films are exactly what they say---films made by fans often without studio help.  You can check out my one blog entry covering a bunch of Friday the 13th fan films here---https://vampireclown82.blogspot.com/2021/08/friday-13th-fan-films.html (you’ll also see links for other fan films).  The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of my favorite movies, so of course I was curious about this fan film available for free after seeing it mentioned via Rue Morgue news.  It entails different groups of people being led to the rural farmhouse in the middle of nowhere where danger in the form of Leatherface awaits.  There are several editing issues, the acting isn’t always the greatest, and many times it feels like a remake (and why will cars still only start when convenient in horror flicks?!!), but it really isn’t too, too bad (far from great) for a fan film made in 2022.  I enjoyed it more than many Texas imitators and even some of the sequels/prequels/whatever.  There is gore too; yes, I know the original Texas doesn’t really have any of the red stuff, but it doesn’t make it any less harrowing and effective.  I don’t think any film in this particular cinematic universe will ever top Tobe Hooper’s original (48 years later it is still one of the best), but if you’re looking for a free film to watch in this specific universe, it really isn’t too, too bad, like I said.  11/15/2022

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

The Boys Club   >>>OK

Incarnation (2016)  >>>OK

The Last Thing Mary Saw  >>>B
            (Shudder)

---Sean O.
11/16/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment