Wednesday, November 9, 2022

This is Gwar/The Long Night

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Gwar
Gwar was often viewed as a joke band in the metal world, kind of like Insane Clown Posse in the rap world.  Many people go to their concerts just for the show itself, probably not always for the music alone.  [If you do happen to attend one of their concerts and are close to the stage, make sure you wear attire you don’t care about because you will get sprayed with something].  I like some of their songs, but never truly followed them as much as I feel I should have.  The only time I saw them live was at Warped Tour and they didn’t play that long (as the majority of bands on that tour don’t).  I remember the stage show more than the actual music, go figure, and I witnessed a fight break out nearby, so my attention was also on that.  My first taste of them was likely in Empire Records back when it came out, even though I heard of them before that.  This documentary covers the band’s beginnings in Virginia during the Eighties up to the present with all the lineup changes and inevitable internal strife in between.  My high school classmate and documentary filmmaker, Tommy Avallone (The Bill Murray Stories; Waldo on Weed; I Love You, You Hate Me), was one of the producers.  Like many documentaries, it is informative at times (I learned a few things I wouldn’t have known had I not seen this), but, also like many documentaries, it does drag at times, especially since it’s almost 2 hours.  I would imagine only those that are fans of the band, or somewhat aware, would be interested, but I can’t tell you what to watch; you know what you’d be getting into and no one is forcing you to watch (needless to say).  You’ll definitely get to witness the human qualities (shockingly emotional at times) of these people behind the costumes.  11/7/2022

The Long Night                                                           G
A New York woman that grew up in a foster home travels to the south with her man in hopes of finding out who her real family is.  The home they stay at is large with an expanse of land in the middle of the woods (perfect setting for a horror film, no?).  The man that owns the home isn’t there on arrival (that’s not suspicious, no?) and by nightfall, a group of people looking like a satanic cult appear on the front lawn and just stand there for a while.  Naturally you do eventually find out what they want.  Now, as far as style goes, this film gets an A; the aerial location shots alone are stunning to behold and a very menacing ambiance thoroughly permeates.  As for substance?  There’s enough of it, I guess.  It doesn’t quite feel like anything I haven’t seen before (like the majority of modern movies, I know), but the substantial amount of style and enough of a story (plus, it doesn’t exactly end on a cheerful note) allow me to give it a slight recommendation.  11/8/2022

Bonus review:

The Killing Tree                                                          EH
A killer Christmas tree.  Literally.  Is it asinine?  Of course it is.  Would you expect anything less?  My expectations may not have been high, but I did expect it to be more fun than this.  A murderer is resurrected into the festive tree by mistake.  This tree now walks, talks, kills, and even drives a car (I actually thought it was going to have sex with another tree at one time, but no luck).  I was reminded of Jack Frost a bit, but that’s a fun holiday horror flick with an asinine concept.  The only way you can likely have fun with this is if high or inebriated.  A scene towards the end wherein two trees briefly duke it out almost made me chuckle (it likely would’ve cracked me up had something been in my system).  It is barely 72-minutes if you are curious though (and free on Tubi), but what open-minded cinephile wouldn’t be?  However, you can spend even less time (just 16-minutes) with another film about killer Christmas trees (yes, plural) that’s a lot more fun entitled Treevenge (which is available on YouTube).  11/5/2022

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Dark Glasses  >>>EH/OK
   (In Italian with subtitles)

Hellbender  >>>EH/OK
            (Shudder)

Motherly  >>>OK

My Policeman  >>>OK
   (Amazon Prime)

The Scary of Sixty-First  >>>B/EH

See For Me  >>>OK

Sissy  >>>EH/OK

Slapface  >>>EH/OK
         (Shudder)

What Josiah Saw  >>>G
            (Shudder)

Who Invited Them  >>>EH/OK

---Sean O.
11/9/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment