Thursday, December 5, 2019

Ready or Not


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Ready or Not                                                               G
…here I come, you can’t hide.  Gonna fiiiiiiiiind you and take it slowly…Sorry, had to get that Fugees song out of me as I instinctively sing a song internally or externally whenever its title and/or words are mentioned.  The title is in reference to the first words uttered while playing the traditional game of hide and seek, which the newly wedded bride in this film is forced to play as an initiation into her new rich family.  Tradition dictates the new in-law must compete from midnight to dawn on their wedding night in a game they (the new in-law) pick after inserting a card into a box.  The bride soon realizes she needs to survive this game until dawn.  Yes, her new family must kill her by dawn or something will supposedly happen to all of them.  What a lovely family to move into, no?  I don’t think I’m giving too much away since much of that was in the previews and can probably be read in any synopsis.  It could’ve been much goofier given the premise and although there are bits of comic relief, this is generally serious in tone and a bit darker than you’d expect.  There’s also a modicum of suspense and I don’t remember ever really being bored; it’s violent too when it wants to be.  I won’t reveal whether the bride loses or if something actually does befall the family if she doesn’t, but let’s just say I wasn’t exactly disappointed with the outcome.  It’s not great (it’s rare for films these days to be anyway) and probably not altogether fresh (also rare anymore), but I’m recommending it.  12/5/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Bunny Lake Is Missing  >>>G

Indian Horse  >>>G

Mary  >>>EH


---Sean O.
12/5/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment