Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Invisible Man


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


The Invisible Man                                                        EH/OK
I can honestly say I’ve only seen the original 1933 film before this recent version.  Apparently, according to Wikipedia, there have been at least 9 other movies and 7 TV movies, plus Hollow Man and its sequel being variations (well, I’ve seen Hollow Man too then).  Being that Leigh Whannell, he involved with the Saw and Insidious films for starters, directed it, and that it received rave reviews (92% out of 356 critics on Rotten Tomatoes), I was more than a bit curious.  Well, the film may look good, has good performances (particularly that of Elizabeth Moss), and contains a plausible reasoning for invisibility (in movie world at least), but I just wasn’t exactly impressed.  There’s a twist close to the end that wasn’t too surprising and the ending wasn’t quite executed properly (making me feel confused at first).  My biggest gripe though?  It was too damn long.  Was this an unnecessary remake?  I would say yes, but like I said, the original Claude Rains film is the only other version I’ve seen (made 87 years ago) and I can’t recall every single thing that happened in it.  I would say it was mostly an unnecessary movie on its own, but at least 326 critics disagree with me, so…5/29/2020


Bonus reviews:


Pumpkinhead:  Ashes to Ashes                                   EH
Pumpkinhead 4:  Blood Feud                                     OK/G
I realized I never saw all the Pumpkinhead sequels after reading about them in the latest issue of Rue Morgue magazine.  Writer John Bowen panned them to no end, but curiosity got the better of me (like always) and my OCD would never allow me to not finish out a franchise, especially if I was a fan of at least the first one.  Now, I am a fan of Pumpkinhead, but I’m not madly in love with it.  The titular creature doesn’t resemble a pumpkin at all, more of an alien with sharp teeth; it only bears the name due to coming from a pumpkin patch.  The first sequel, Pumpkinhead II:  Blood Wings, wasn’t bad either; I remember it being gorier than its predecessor but more of a remake.  As for these two other sequels released in 2006 and 2007 as TV movies?  The third one, Ashes to Ashes, appeared to be a direct sequel to the first one and was the worst entry in the franchise.  I couldn’t wait for it to be over before the halfway mark!  Not even Pinhead himself, Doug Bradley, could save it.  Above all, the creature was CGI at times!  You don’t use CGI for a creature that was originally practical!  Blood Feud, on the other hand, involving the infamous warring Hatfield and McCoy clans actually wasn’t too bad for a fourquel.  It still contained the same staples as the rest of the films---someone dies, their surviving loved one goes to a backwoods witch demanding vengeance, that vengeance carried out by Pumpkinhead, eventually the one seeking vengeance regrets summoning Pumpkinhead, there’s only one way to stop the curse---but I enjoyed this one a lot better than its predecessor, that’s for damn sure!  Overall, Pumpkinhead isn’t my favorite franchise, but it’s not the worst one out there.  Skip part three if you plan on having a marathon (even if you have OCD like me, trust me).  5/29/2020



Bodied                                                                         G
I didn’t realize this was a remake (or reimagining) of 8 Mile.  Ironically, Eminem is one of its producers.  In it, a white college student inadvertently becomes a battle rapper after competing against a random stranger in a parking lot following a battle rap session in which he interviewed another battle rapper for an assignment.  Unlike 8 Mile in which Eminem was the only whitey battling against all black men, these battle rappers are a little more diverse; one being Latino, one a black woman, one an Asian, and there’s even a Middle Eastern.  Much like Eminem’s biopic, these battle raps are raw, not unlike being roasted in the worst way, but the majority of battle rappers understand that that’s the name of the game.  Although I thought I was watching a carbon copy of that Eminem film the entire time (taking place in the West Coast instead of Michigan), I can’t deny how engaged I was for the majority of its 2-hour run-time (especially in regards to the battle raps).  5/29/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Arkansas  >>>OK

Girl  >>>OK


---Sean O.
5/30/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment