Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Room/The Pool/Cursed Films


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


The Room (2019)                                                        OK/G
A heterosexual couple move into a new house wherein they discover a boarded-up room that can grant as many wishes as they want.  There’s really no explanation why, but would one really care in such a circumstance?  I certainly wouldn’t.  Things go great for a bit until they learn, like any fictional scenario involving wishes, you should be careful what you wish for (as promo art for the film also states)!  And, as in similar narratives containing a premise that seems too good to be true, there is a catch, not a huge one, but one in which certain wishes are deemed completely futile.  I was wondering how they could take a simple premise like this and make it work for 99 minutes, and they do for the most part, but it still could’ve been a bit shorter and I think the compelling direction it took towards the end could’ve lead it to darker places if expanded upon, sooner instead of later.  I’m still not dismissing this though.  7/22/2020



The Pool (2018)                                                          OK/G
This Thai film (yes, that means subtitles if you don’t understand Thai) features a man ending up in quite the predicament after working on a film shot at a (you guessed it…) pool.  This pool is 6 meters deep as we’re informed (that equals roughly 20 feet) and our protagonist is tasked with draining it after the shoot.  After falling asleep on a float, he realizes the water level got too low and he can’t climb out.  What kind of pool, especially one that deep, doesn’t have a ladder built into it?  Murphy’s Law certainly besets our dude, whether he goes down the drain or tries climbing out with whatever resources are at hand, and any kind of help always seems to come at the wrong time.  Oh, I forgot to mention that we’re informed of a loose crocodile after a flood, so that’s yet another thing our hero has to worry about after it ends up in the pool.  The crocodile did only seem to attack when it chose to and that could be because it was in an empty pool instead of a filled one which would’ve made the man more vulnerable.  The crocodile looked like it could’ve been both CGI and real at times, but it was passable for the most part and I’ve definitely seen worse (don’t be put off by the beginning like I was; that’s when it looked the fakest).  This survival flick is very plausible, but I don’t think it was able to sustain itself for 90 minutes and the ending was a bit too positive for me, predictably so.  Not a bad film though.  7/22/2020



Cursed Films
Five-episode documentary series available on Shudder covering The Exorcist, The Omen (1976), Poltergeist (1982), The Crow, and Twilight Zone:  The Movie.  Now, if you’re a horror fan, or even just a movie fan, or even just frequently read up on the news, chances are you’ve heard of incidents surrounding films that enable them to be labeled as “cursed.”  Before this, I did know about the deaths befalling cast members on Poltergeist, the accidental death of Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow (I’ve heard people say it happened at the end in the church, but this series proves where and how it happened), and the accidental deaths on the set of the Twilight Zone movie (the description here makes it sound a whole lot more tragic).  I did learn some things, such as a killer working on The Exorcist, the brush with death Richard Donner nearly had while working on The Omen, and a specific horror veteran cast in The Crow as a villain whose scene was no longer used after Brandon’s death.  Some bits were simply just filler, such as the real exorcisms performed on The Exorcist episode which had no direct correlation to the film itself, and the various discussions on stunts that deviated from the film in question during the Twilight Zone one (only Kane Hodder’s interviews would’ve sufficed since they seemed the most relevant).  You might learn something new if you’re interested in any kind of film discussions, especially if you’re a fan of any of these films.  I’m a fan of them all, the original Poltergeist and The Crow being two of my favorites, I like The Exorcist and The Omen but don’t adore them like many others do, and I think I might need to re-watch the Twilight Zone movie since its been a while.  As for whether I think these films are actually cursed, I personally don’t believe in any of that, but I’d like to think I’m open-minded in hearing different theories, and you’ll hear opinions from both sides of the spectrum within.  The episodes only range from 26-29 minutes each, meaning you can binge this is one sitting coupled with any bathroom or snack-grab breaks.  7/22/2020



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Confessional  >>>EH/OK
    (Shudder)

The Dirties  >>>EH

The Good Liar  >>>OK

I Am Santa Claus  >>>OK/G

Knuckleball (2018)  >>>OK

Lake of Death  >>>EH
    (Shudder)


---Sean O.
7/25/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment