Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Clerk./The Feast

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Clerk.                                                                          G
Kevin Smith.  Also known as Silent Bob.  To me, Kevin Smith stopped making movies after Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but returned briefly to give us Clerks II.  Some of his other movies may not have been bad, but they weren’t Kevin Smith movies to me (and I think many other pre-Jersey Girl fans can agree; hopefully his upcoming Clerks III is worth it, because he is long overdue for a comeback).  This documentary chronicles the filmmaker’s (or multi-hyphenate’s) journey from the legendary Clerks all the way to his completely disappointing Jay and Silent Bob Reboot.  A good portion of the material presented won’t be much news to the average Smith fan, but not too much time is spent on any one film or accomplishment to make any of it feel too drawn out.  I generally enjoyed it even when it covered the years I wasn’t as much a fan (luckily crap like Cop Out and Yoga Hosers weren’t discussed very long).  Parts of his life outside of film are included too.  You hear from family and friends throughout, friends being mostly celebrities.  Even if you aren’t too aware of Kevin Smith but do know of him, this doc would be a good introduction (I don’t recall any spoilers given for any of the films).  I do think it’s ultimately for fans of the man though, it being a love letter of sorts.  I can’t deny how significant he’s been in part of my life.  At one time, he’s one of the filmmakers that made me want to be a director.  And he’s a fellow Jersey boy, which I always thought was cool.  12/31/2021

The Feast
A Welsh horror film that I heard of through Rue Morgue magazine, as is often the case with films that aren’t mainstream (yes, there are subtitles; I thought they spoke English in Wales; shows how much I know).  It begins fairly straightforward in an extremely arthouse way, involving a young woman going to a house of four to serve them and some guests dinner.  You can sense something unexpected is eventually going to transpire, especially if you know you’re watching a horror film and that Rue Morgue covered it (I’m always interested in what they cover, as much as I’ve disagreed with them before).  This movie ends up being twisted as all hell; one part I even found disturbing.  Despite how twisted it truly gets, I think I might have actually taken something from it (there’s mention of a local folklore and everything, as surreal as it may get, kind of makes sense with that info).  I really don’t know what to rate it, so I won’t for now.  I read an interview in which the director said you’ll likely have to watch it at least twice to pick up on everything, maybe even more times, so I’ll take his word for it and watch again (just not now; I usually don’t watch the same movie so close together).  I don’t know whether I should tell people to watch either, and to whom I should tell, because I think many horror and non-horror fans will both have the same ‘WTF’ reaction (I am curious to hear other thoughts though).  This film clearly isn’t for everyone.  1/2/2022

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

The Alpines  >>>B/EH

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker  >>>EH/OK
(a.k.a. Night Warning)

The Night House  >>>OK/G
(this rating may change after I watch it again, because I did like it better after reading about it and finding out what really happened)

Tokyo Godfathers  >>>OK/G

Woe  >>>EH

---Sean O.
1/4/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment