Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Turning Red/Cusp

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Turning Red                                                                OK/G
Newest Pixar movie so I had to see it.  All of our bodies change once we reach a certain age.  The young female protagonist here, an Asian-Canadian (for those that like diversity), turns into a giant red panda when getting emotional once becoming a teenager (you’ll learn why).  I didn’t think this was too special and the message of always being your true self is a tad dated, but there’s probably enough here for most of the family to enjoy, and while the message may be dated, it will always be relevant.  It’s primarily about early teens simply being early teens in 2002 (no, that’s not a typo, that’s when it takes place).  3/13/2022

Cusp                                                                            OK/G
Documentary available on Showtime following three teenage girls during one summer in Texas.  It’s generally as entertaining as a typical teen movie; or, what I should say is that it’s set up like a typical teen movie, because it should go without saying that not all teen movies are entertaining.  Being that it’s a documentary though, it makes me wonder how much of it may have been staged since they knew they were being filmed.  Kids felt very documentary-like but wasn’t, so this could’ve taken a similar approach, although it kind of did, because I don’t recall the characters speaking directly to the camera too much; just a lot of voiceovers.  I did enjoy getting to know these girls, but I’d like to have gotten to know them more.  I’d like to see how they live every other time of the year.  I’d like to see their lives in school.  Therefore, I think a series with these girls, doc-style or not, could very well work.  3/9/2022

Bonus review:

Bull Shark                                                                   EH
(haiku review)
Shark in Texas lake.
It’s not that bad.  Ha, ha.  Right.
Shark sucks, so do kills.  3/14/2022

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Above Us Lives Evil  >>>B/EH

The Adam Project  >>>EH
            (Netflix)

Amityville Witches  >>>EH

Pieces of Her (Season One)  >>>EH
            (Netflix; 8 episodes)

The Weekend Away  >>>EH/OK
            (Netflix)

---Sean O.
3/15/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment