Sunday, October 2, 2022

My Best Friend's Exorcism/Hocus Pocus 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

My Best Friend’s Exorcism                                         EH/OK
I was interested in checking out the book written by Grady Hendrix, but never got around to it.  Judging by this adaptation, available on Amazon Prime, it probably looked better on paper.  It takes place in the Eighties---entertainment set during that decade is old hat by now, but it’s still fun to watch as that time period was very unique and put out some of the best films and music (I was born in 1982 so I wasn’t old enough to appreciate those years)---and contains elements of Mean Girls and The Exorcist.  The high school scenes generally never felt fresh, the exorcism in question felt poorly executed, and the special effects were subpar, especially the demon we see at the end (he kind of reminded me of Smeagol from The Lord of the Rings films).  All the elements for a good story are here, so maybe one day I will check out the book as long as this movie wasn’t an entirely faithful adaptation.  10/1/2022

Hocus Pocus 2                                                                        OK
I saw the first film in the theater back when it came out in 1993, and while I definitely don’t dislike it, I think it is highly overrated.  Don’t get me wrong, I do still watch it occasionally, partially for nostalgia, and for being one of those semi-fun family-friendly films containing horror elements.  I believe many can agree with me how annoying the witches are at times.  While I didn’t hate this sequel released 29 years later, currently available on Disney+, as much as I thought I would, it still very much felt like a sequel.  In other words, it’s obviously a cash grab for the many fans it seems to have and doesn’t seem to contain nearly as much substance as its predecessor did.  The musical numbers (very few thankfully), while corny, weren’t as cringe-worthy as they initially appeared to be (I guess), and some may say the ending is a bit poignant (I guess).  I haven’t heard too many fans of the first one complain yet, and those are who this sequel will truly be for anyway.  10/1/2022

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

The Amityville Moon  >>>EH/OK

Emergency (2022)  >>>EH/OK
            (Amazon)

13 Fanboy  >>>EH

---Sean O.
10/2/2022

No comments:

Post a Comment