Friday, March 3, 2023

Cocaine Bear

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Cocaine Bear                                                              OK/G
Are you supposed to take a movie called Cocaine Bear seriously?  It is based on a true story, yes, but stops where the bear gets into some cocaine (this is one site you can read about the incident---https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/12/01/cocaine-bear-movie-true-story/).  [Bear attack movies may not be as abundant as say shark attack movies, but there’s been enough (somewhat) to have its own subgenre; Backcountry and The Edge are probably the best to date, and Grizzly is fine too (does The Great Outdoors count?)].  This is a horror-comedy, but never feels like a parody despite the premise.  Like the real incident, it takes place in the Eighties (there’s some popular tunes on the soundtrack) in the Southern U.S. (although filmed in Ireland).  There is violence, yes, and as gory as it gets at times, I feel there were parts even more violence was restrained (I sense an unrated version will be released).  The bear was CGI (obviously) and I knew it was beforehand, but it doesn’t look too, too obvious, and realistic enough without being distracting.  It wasn’t ultimately as fun as I thought it would be, or could be (at least not yet; first viewings and all), but I still think it was enjoyable enough and a worthy addition to the “bearsploitation” subgenre.  R.I.P.  Ray Liotta.  2/28/2023

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Devil’s Peak  >>>EH/OK

House Party (2023)  >>>B

We Have A Ghost  >>>OK
            (Netflix)

---Sean O.
3/3/2023

1 comment: