Monday, September 2, 2024

Strange Darling

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Strange Darling                                                          OK
A thriller in six parts.  That’s what we’re told we are watching when the title appears on the screen in the beginning.  [Apparently this is based on real events that happened between 2018 and 2020 (I think those were the years mentioned)].  The six parts aren’t presented chronologically.  Something revealed a little later makes it a different movie than initially thought, thereby making it less harrowing than I initially thought it could be (certain twists just aren’t that effective anymore).  Going the nonlinear route is the only thing preventing this from being a very ordinary flick with not too many surprises, violent or not (and it is violent).  Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for the structure (Quentin Tarantino is one of my favorite filmmakers), and I didn’t dislike this film, not at all (I’ll probably watch it again eventually and might think it’s better; it’s happened enough times before), but I just didn’t think it was particularly exceptional when all was said and done.  8/27/2024

Bonus review:

Suitable Flesh                                                              OK
Imagine Freaky Friday written by H.P. Lovecraft.  It is based on a short story by the late author (“The Thing on the Doorstep,” which I don’t recall reading, but I do own a collection of Lovecraft stories), but I wouldn’t say it’s entirely Lovecraftian.  It’s basically a body switch movie like the aforementioned title, akin to something like Jason Goes to Hell as well.  Basically, an evil entity switches bodies with others whenever it chooses to (there is a procedure, of course).  I was curious to see how it all panned out, but nothing much is done with the concept, making it appear simple, trite even; it’s roughly 100-minutes too.  It might’ve sufficed more as a half-hour episode in an anthology show.  8/28/2024

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Exploited (2022)  >>>EH

Hell Hole (2024)  >>>OK
            (Shudder)

Incoming (2024)  >>>EH
            (Netflix)

Kinds of Kindness  >>>G

Milk & Serial  >>>OK
   (Available on YouTube)

Snow Falls  >>>EH/OK

Something in the Water (2024)  >>>OK

---Sean O.
9/2/2024

No comments:

Post a Comment