Monday, July 11, 2016

Mooby Reviews 7/11/2016

Andron                                                                        B

Basically a poor person’s Cube, The Hunger Games, any of the Saw films and even a movie called House of 9 (which was basically an independent version of a Saw film).  Somehow Alec Baldwin and Danny Glover are involved?!  Several strangers wake up somewhere with no recollection of how they got there or (some) who they are.  Yup, we’ve seen this all before.  There’s somewhat of a sci-fi touch added.  Don’t get lost (like the characters) in this lamefest that seems longer than it actually is!  7/6/2016

App                                                                              B
Apps.  They can be wonderful.  Here, they can be deadly.  This Dutch thriller about a killer app named Iris is fairly predictable and lacks suspense due to everything unfolding immediately after the protagonist finds out.  Even at less than 80 minutes, this overstays its welcome.  Go dutch (wink, wink) and skip this lamefest.  7/2/2016

I Saw the Light                                                            G
Hank Williams.  The only country musician I like.  Sort of.  I confess to not knowing much about the guy other than dying young.  Therefore, I can’t tell how much rings true or not.  As a movie alone, I thought it was pretty good.  I don’t know much about Tim Hiddleston either, other than being Taylor Swift’s current beau.  I think he did a pretty swell job.  He sure looked somewhat like Mr. Williams.  It currently has a very low rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  Maybe it was overly fabricated or wasn’t sufficient?  I’m just going with my personal opinion being an outsider on the biography and not the music.  I watched it with a buddy of mine who’s a big fan of Hank and he liked it, saying the film gave him a human quality.  7/11/2016

Krampus:  The Christmas Devil                                 EH
Skip this obviously low-budget film about the Christmas demon and watch Michael Dougherty’s Krampus instead.  This isn’t as bad as Krampus: The Reckoning but that’s just like saying a runny nose is preferable to a sore throat.  7/2/2016

Only Yesterday                                                            G
This animation came out in 1991 but was just recently released to North American audiences.  Not sure why.  I’m not the biggest fan of Anime but I’ll watch them if the story interests me or they’re critically acclaimed.  This comes from Studio Ghibli, the same studio that gave us films like Spirited Away and Ponyo.  A woman from Tokyo travels to the country while reminiscing about her past as a fifth grader in the 1960s (it’s apparently the 80s based on her age).  The grass is always greener on the other side, literally for her but metaphorically for the farmer who wishes he could’ve went to the city when he was young.  The film deals with real issues and looks amazing at times, particularly the countryside views and a scene inside a car while it’s raining.  The overall message appears to be that we must let go of our past if we ever want to move forward in life.  7/9/2016

The Other Side of the Door                                         OK/G
I told myself I wasn’t going to like this movie.  I did kind of hate it in the beginning.  I thought it was going to be a typical big-budget ghost movie that came and went theatrically.  Shot and set in India starring the chick from The Walking Dead and Prison Break, this actually isn’t the worst thriller I’ve seen.  It’s actually pretty effective throughout.  There’s a ghost obviously cribbed from The Grudge with the movements down to the emanating sounds.  It’s surprisingly well-shot but still not quite good, that’s why my rating is in the middle.  It still feels empty and I highly doubt it will become a classic.  Points though for being much better than I thought it would be.  7/7/2016

The Pack                                                                     OK/G
Decent natural horror flick from Australia about a family in the isolated countryside besieged by a pack of wild dogs.  Points for using real dogs and no CGI.  There are some rather bloody attacks too.  I didn’t quite buy that the dogs appeared to have human qualities (i.e. stalking before attacking).  I also didn’t understand how the dogs attacked sporadically as there were several times the opportunity arose.  Oh well, it’s shades above many current (and older) “animal attack” pictures.  7/10/2016

---Sean O.

No comments:

Post a Comment