Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Child's Play/Toy Story 4


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Image result for child's play 2019


Child’s Play                                                                OK/G
Yes, as much as I complained about this remake (like any) and as much as I hated Chucky’s new look, curiosity got the better of me after reading several reviews from horror publications.  You would think how much I complain about remakes, I wouldn’t bother watching them in order to stop promoting them (I blame my OCD).  Some of them are actually worthy (check out my list in my review of the Pet Sematary documentary, dated 4/11/19) and, let’s face it, they’re going to keep happening from here on out whether we like it or not.  Regardless of what version is out there, the version you love and/or grew up with is never going to be eradicated.  Anyway, as much as I love the Chucky movies, I never saw one in the theater---the first three I was too young, I can’t remember why I didn’t go see Bride, Seed I had no interest at the time, and the last two (Curse and Cult) were direct-to-video.  Therefore, this is officially the first Chucky movie I’ve seen theatrically.  What did I think?  As a standalone film, it actually wasn’t that bad.  That being said, I think they could’ve made this its own movie.  Yes, it’s called Child’s Play, there’s a killer doll named Chucky, and there’s a kid named Andy living with his single mother whom works at a department store, but those are all adjustable comparisons.  Instead of the doll being possessed by a serial killer via voodoo, this doll, actually a technological device similar to Alexa called Buddi instead of Good Guy, was intentionally made defective by a fired worker in a Vietnamese production facility.  It could be yet another cautionary tale about how dangerous modern technology can become, sort of like a Black Mirror episode.  There are some funny moments and a good portion of worthy violence (one scene involving a car is a bit silly), but the film felt too short and I expected more violence.  I definitely didn’t hate it though, far from it, as much as I hated the idea upon hearing of it, and actually won’t deter you from checking it out during bargain times or when it’s released on DVD/Blu-ray/Streaming.  Like I said, the original Chucky films will always be there and will likely always be my favorite versions since I grew up with them, but this was a passable re-imagining (never thought I’d say that).  6/24/2019



Toy Story 4                                                                  OK
I have officially seen all the Toy Story movies in the theater.  Toy Story 3 was supposed to be the last one, but I never take anyone’s word for it when they say that (case in point---The Devil’s Rejects was supposed to be the end, but 3 From Hell is coming out; Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was supposed to be the end of the titular duo’s cinematic appearance, but there’s a new Jay and Silent Bob movie coming out; and so on and so on).  Toy Story was great, Toy Story 2 and 3 were worthy and fun, 3 being the most emotional, and this one was…just okay.  Sure, this may have been emotional at times and some of the new characters were funny, but I felt like I’ve seen it all before.  And call me “no fun,” but I just didn’t have too much fun with this one.  And criticize me all you want, but I couldn’t stand Forky.  You’re going to watch this if you’ve seen the first three (don’t tell me you’re not), but, as much as I hate to say, I think they should’ve ended at 3 like they intended, making this an unnecessary sequel (dare I say).  Surprisingly, 98% of 330 critics on Rotten Tomatoes (as of this writing) disagree with me.  6/25/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Captive State  >>>B

Hale County This Morning, This Evening  >>>EH/OK

Hellgate  >>>EH

Her Smell  >>>OK

Under the Silver Lake  >>>EH


---Sean O.
6/25/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment