Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Critters Attack!


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Critters Attack!                                                            OK
This is technically Critters 5; not too long ago there was also a Shudder TV series called A New Binge (my review for it was posted on 4/24/2019).  This currently isn’t available on Netflix (streaming or mail), but it is available at Redbox (which is where I got it) and On Demand.  Well, at least those red-eyed, toothy furballs are still practical after all these years.  Did we really need another movie though?  I hate to say not really, but I’m not going to tell fans (or anyone that’s made it this far) to dismiss this because y’all, like always, are going to watch it regardless of what I or anyone else has to say.  What exactly does one expect from a Critters movie though, especially a fifth one?  I hate to say, something a little better than this.  The title isn’t lying in that the critters do attack and that’s all they do, repetitively (the gore factor is definitely high enough this time to secure an R-rating, something the previous four films did not).  Again, what would someone (especially a fan) expect from a Critters movie?  Yes, but there was no style to most of it, feeling repetitive as I’ve said and like an (I hate to say) unnecessary sequel (at least it wasn’t a remake though).  Nods to Gremlins and Mars Attacks! felt like poor attempts to add “originality” to this entry too.  I’m not trying to say I didn’t enjoy this at all either.  Like I said, I love how they’re still practical (especially in this very much digital age), it’s well-shot like the others for being non-theatrical, and I liked when the critters were the ones being attacked at the end (that was fun).  I just hope if they make another one (you know I’m going to watch it if so), it’s a bit more distinctive (original is nearly impossible these days) and doesn’t feel (ahem) unnecessary.  7/23/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Hail Satan?  >>>G

Missing Link  >>>OK/G

A Violent Separation  >>>OK

We Have Always Lived in the Castle  >>>OK


---Sean O.
7/25/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment