Wednesday, October 16, 2019

3 From Hell


-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
--------------------------------------------------------------------


3 From Hell                                                                OK/G
For those that don’t know, this is the third film in Rob Zombie’s “Firefly Family” franchise that began with House of 1000 Corpses and followed with The Devil’s Rejects.  I am a fan of both those films, more so of the latter, but the ending of The Devil’s Rejects is no longer as disturbingly poignant as it once was now that we know they survived (I don’t think I’m spoiling anything since the only ones likely interested in seeing this have probably seen the preceding entries, and you’ve had 14 years to see The Devil’s Rejects).  This may have been an unnecessary sequel (I hate to say) and the “witty” remarks by our villainous protagonists are largely puerile and ineffective by now, but there’s still a certain kind of appeal that made me want to keep watching.  That appeal will likely only apply to fans of the first two films though, namely The Devil’s Rejects as the style here very much reflects that gritty world over the more colorful (yet no less grim) one in House of 1000 Corpses.  It is more of an action (than horror) movie too that could’ve been directed by Quentin Tarantino or Sam Peckinpah or the like, but does still contain enough of Mr. Zombie’s signature violence.  All I’ll say is, if you liked House and Rejects even a bit more than remotely, watch this (as you likely will anyway) but don’t keep your expectations too high.  I really hope Rob doesn’t plan on making a fourth one either (this one wasn’t even originally supposed to happen) since I believe the Firefly clan had enough time in the spotlight.  R.I.P. Sid Haig.  10/16/2019


Bonus review:


Body at Brighton Rock                                                OK/G
You might be reminded of Backcountry (ironically that word is mentioned in the beginning) although the two films really aren’t that much alike.  The promo art shows a menacing bear towering above a girl, the park rangers in this film are warned about bears and mountain lions, and there are claw marks on some trees, so I think it was pretty much apparent there would be a bear encounter at some point.  I hate to disappoint anyone (or to make you avoid disappointment), but the bear attack doesn’t happen until the very end and is nowhere near as brutal as the one in Backcountry.  Instead, this is more of a survival story/psychological thriller that should be more appreciated as such.  There is a twist at the end, not novel at all, but I wasn’t expecting it here and that’s probably because I was more focused on that anticipated animal attack.  This isn’t a bad movie at all, it’s actually a pretty decent one; just go in expecting a psychological thriller (as I’ve said) with some beautiful scenery and you might think the bear attack at the end is the final reward.  P.S.  Check out Backcountry too if you haven’t already.  10/16/2019



Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Fractured  >>>OK
   (Netflix)

Mayday  >>>EH

The Ninth Passenger  >>>OK

Purgatory Road  >>>OK


---Sean O.
10/16/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment