Sunday, February 7, 2021

Sputnik/Disappearance at Clifton Hill

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sputnik                                                                                    G
The setting is Russia, 1983 (yes, that means subtitles if you don’t know Russian).  Two men just returned from space and something has returned with them, inside one of them (luckily the story is only in space for the first five minutes; I’m not the biggest fan of space-set narratives).  One man didn’t survive, the other is kept under scrutiny in a facility wherein an alien being emerges from his mouth the same time each night for roughly the same amount of time before re-entering.  The creature design is fine, nothing spectacular, a bit insectile, and wouldn’t feel out of place in Stranger Things.  The film may be horrific on occasion, in both violence and content, but it’s more of a sci-fi flick that incorporates somewhat of a romance over time.  It never felt sappy when veering towards that aspect though, and unlike The Shape of Water, this felt a bit more fresh, although, yeah, I may have been reminded of films like Alien and Species at times.  I didn’t think this film was excellent, but I enjoyed it enough to suggest a peek.  2/4/2021

Disappearance at Clifton Hill                                     OK/G
This was, for the most part, an intriguing mystery taking place in Niagara Falls.  I thought all the loose ends were tied up before the very end added another mystery to the whole proceedings.  I looked for spoilers online to see if some minor detail simply went over my head or to get a straight answer, but no site claiming to have spoilers was any help.  I hate when movies/shows are good until the end is either unsatisfying or I’m unable to devise my own acceptable conclusion.  It’s probably not as complex as I made it out to be, and I may have proposed a correct answer after some pondering, but, damn it, I don’t like being toyed with!  2/4/2021

Bonus review:

Centigrade                                                                  G
A couple, I’m guessing American, are traveling in Norway for a book tour before ending up trapped in their car after pulling over during a freezing rain storm the night before.  The woman is pregnant and I really don’t know why they decided to travel so far in her pregnancy, but no one can foresee being trapped in a car covered in ice and snow either.  The car is so covered you wouldn’t be able to know it was there while driving by or flying overhead.  As you can guess, this creates quite the predicament.  They only have a limited amount of food and water, one of their phones works for about a minute to no avail, they are able to use candles for light and they do have seemingly enough blankets, but eventually it will get colder, the food/drinks will run out, and remember that pregnancy I mentioned?  Not too much happens in the general sense, but given the use of one very confined location for roughly 99% of the time and the fact the idea is rather frightening in theory and could very well happen (allegedly it is based on fact, but isn’t everything anymore?), however unforeseen (as in most survival instances), I’m going to give it a mild recommendation for somewhat managing to work situationally.  2/4/2021

Other movies and TV show(s) I’ve seen and their ratings (see above):

Black Ops  >>>EH

Extracurricular  >>>OK

Minding the Gap  >>>G

Monsterland (Season One)  >>>OK
            (Hulu; 8 episodes)

Palm Springs  >>>OK/G
            (Hulu)

Run (2020)  >>>OK
            (Hulu)

Spree  >>>OK/G

Valley Girl (2020)  >>>OK

---Sean O.
2/7/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment