Monday, February 1, 2021

Slayer: The Repentless Killogy

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Slayer:  The Repentless Killogy
It is probably an unwritten rule that one can’t truly call themselves a metalhead if they don’t like Slayer; at least once in their lifetime.  They never did become sellouts (like Metallica, Megadeth, and countless others) from their arrival in the early Eighties until their last album in 2015 (Repentless).  You pretty much know what to expect when you listen to a Slayer album.  This film, or music video/concert film more appropriately, is strictly for Slayer fans only.  If you don’t like Slayer, you will not enjoy this “film” at all.  The first third does contain a revenge narrative, based on a three-issue comic book of the same name (which I do own and was somewhat reminded of while watching), accompanied by Slayer performing songs off the Repentless album.  Basically it’s more than one music video in which the music complements the narrative instead of vice versa.  It is violent, for those that may care either way (did you expect anything less with Slayer’s name attached?), and there are a few recognizable genre faces (Danny Trejo, Bill Moseley, Derek Mears, etc.) contained within.  For the remaining two-thirds of the 2-hour and 10-minute feature, you are treated to an entire Slayer concert that occurred at the Los Angeles Forum in 2017.  By entire concert, I mean that literally---from the moment the band enters the stage to when they exit after the last song.  For those that have never seen Slayer and would’ve liked to, this may be a good thing (they allegedly did their farewell tour before Covid times, but I never believe bands when they say that).  No, it’s not the same experience as actually being there physically, but it may be the next best thing.  I, personally, prefer seeing concerts on TV sometimes, because that way I can control the volume how I see fit, don’t have to worry about crowds, and I have a better view of the concert itself, a more omniscient view, if you will.  As for how their performance was in this film?  There were times when the sound quality was poor, but that could be the platform I was viewing it on, and there were times I got bored if I wasn’t a fan of a certain song (although that’s not much different than actually being in attendance), but, for the most part, I enjoyed seeing the band perform some of their thrash metal hits to an energetic crowd (as inevitable at metal shows) in the comfort of my own home.  I physically saw Slayer in concert at least 2 or 3 times, but I’ve been a fan of the band for over 20 years now.  I didn’t give this a rating, because, like I said, it is strictly for Slayer fans only and even they may not be satisfied with just seeing a 40-minute music video/revenge film and a 90-minute concert.  So, to Slayer fans, if you plan on watching this, just go in it for the music and expect not much more.  1/29/2021

Bonus review:

Salt-N-Pepa
Biopic recently released on Lifetime covering from when the female rapping duo met in 1985 to a live performance in 2005 in which they were honored by VH1.  I think it’s safe to say that Cheryl (Salt) and Sandy (Pepa) are pioneers, considering it was pretty much unheard of for women to be rappers in the Eighties; ironically, they never intended to be rappers initially (which you’ll see if and when you watch).  I can’t necessarily say I’m a fan of the group, but I don’t dislike them either (“Push It” is a catchy song).  I remember when their single, “Let’s Talk About Sex,” first came out, and when they made an appearance in the John Ritter film, Stay Tuned (“Start Me Up”).  Regardless of how you feel about them, you can’t deny their presence in pop culture, especially if you’re aware of the music industry at large.  Other popular hits have included “Shoop” and “Whatta Man.”  I’m always interested in watching biopics and I was curious about the story behind the “queens of hip-hop,” especially since I knew very little besides the music beforehand.  Like many biopics, parts did feel rushed (even at a little over 2 hours) and the typical assortment of elements are included (creative control issues, internal strife, bad relationships, life meditations, etc.), but I did learn more than I knew prior (regardless of how much truth there was to it all, like usual) and I don’t really remember being bored.  Plus, Mario Van Peebles, an actor/director with many credits to his name, helmed it and the real Salt-N-Pepa were executive producers, so there has to be enough credibility to it, no?  1/31/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Come Play  >>>EH

Cruel Summer  >>>OK/G

Warda  >>>EH/OK
    (In Arabic with subtitles)

---Sean O.
2/1/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment