Friday, January 29, 2021

The Empty Man

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Empty Man                                                           G
I knew not this was based on a graphic novel until watching it and seeing it was based on one by Cullen Bunn, an artist I am familiar with.  You want to know what’s even funnier?  I actually own the first 6 issues of the comic after looking at my inventory list (yes, I have a list of every movie, reading material, and music I own---it definitely comes in handy, making my computer the one thing I would run into my house to retrieve if there was ever a fire; that way I’d know everything replaceable I lost).  According to research, 6 issues (the ones I own) were released in 2014 and then another 8 were released between 2018 and 2019.  I can’t remember a damn thing about the comics (obviously, if I couldn’t even remember I owned them), so I’m unsure how faithful this film may be, or whether it cribbed from the first 6, the last 8, or all 14, but I’m kind of glad I didn’t remember in order to view this film on its own terms, even though I’ve gradually gotten more lenient with book-to-film adaptations (and I might read the first 6 issues again whenever I feel like digging through my collection that is alphabetized, by the way; I do have a bit of OCD if you haven’t figured that out).  Anyway, this film kind of reminded me of The Ring, although not as good, because it has that atmospheric investigative thriller aspect.  It deals with an urban legend surrounding (you guessed it…) The Empty Man, a being that will eventually come after you for three days if you blow into an empty bottle on a bridge after dark.  The story begins in Bhutan in 1995 before heading to Missouri in 2018 and you will learn the connection as obviously there will be one.  The film is a bit all over the place, being over 2 hours at that, but it’s never exactly boring.  It’s not a perfect film, and, even at its lengthy run-time, I still felt there might’ve been more left out (perhaps those comics might fill me in?), but it was intriguing enough for me to give it a mild recommendation.  1/26/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Best Friends Forever  >>>OK

Bloody Hell  >>>OK

Death of Me  >>>EH

Parallel  >>>B/EH

Sightless  >>>OK/G

12 Hour Shift  >>>EH/OK

---Sean O.
1/29/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment