Friday, January 15, 2021

Grizzly II: Revenge

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Grizzly II:  Revenge                                                     B
Grizzly from 1976, while far from great and obviously attempted to be “Jaws on land,” is a decent natural horror film for those that enjoy such films.  I mean, there’s some great scenery to look at, some effective bear POV shots, and it was probably bloody enough for the time, but the attack scenes weren’t exactly staged the best (by today’s standards, of course).  Since it came out in the Seventies, there was no CGI used and they did an okay job of using real bears in addition to parts of practical ones (i.e. only seeing claws or feet instead of the whole thing, which was a wise decision based on what I say below).  This indirect/in-name only sequel was filmed in 1983, but allegedly wasn’t released until recently (other titles besides Revenge were The Predator and The Concert).  I wonder why since it probably would’ve sucked just as much back then.  There were times I thought I was watching a nature documentary (whose scenes were likely filmed recently) and other times I thought I was watching a concert film (whose scenes were likely cribbed from actual footage, and hence one of the alternate titles).  A man is shown shooting a bear cub during one of the “nature documentary” scenes in the beginning and mama bear (footage of a real bear) growls in response, thus causing her (not the real bear) to attack any human she comes in contact with (hence the ultimate title).  Now, about that bear that isn’t the real one we saw in the beginning---if you think the bear attacks and the way they were staged in the first one weren’t the greatest, let me just say you won’t be complaining about how they were shot after seeing this one; Grizzly is a masterpiece next to this garbage of a sequel.  I know I shouldn’t complain about practical effects being used, given how much I loathe CGI, but, come on, the bear used here wasn’t even minimally convincing (hell, the shark used in Jaws obviously wasn’t a real shark, but it worked and is still one of the best cinematic sharks to this day!).  Not even three famous faces in the beginning (who don’t last long) or Louise Fletcher (most recognizable as Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and the unloving grandmother in Flowers in the Attic), who plays a woman concerned more about profit (that aforementioned concert) than people supposedly being killed by a bear in the woods (common trait for such films), could save this unnecessary sequel that should’ve stayed unreleased.  If I haven’t made myself clear, I hated this movie!  1/13/2021

Bonus review:

I Am Lisa                                                                     OK
This is the first time I recall seeing a movie that’s both a revenge film and a werewolf film.  The werewolf doesn’t look like the ones in The Howling or Dog Soldiers, but more of a crossbreed, a human with lycanthropic features (i.e. claws, fangs, and inhuman eyes) and it is explained why.  A girl named (you guessed it…) Lisa returns to a small town after her grandmother passes and leaves her a used bookstore.  After she’s attacked by some townsfolk (all but one are women, so sisterhood doesn’t apply here feminists!) and taken to the woods, she’s bitten by a creature (looking more like a regular wolf) and vows revenge against all her attackers while in the midst of her transformation.  Now, while this film does involve lycanthropy of sorts, it is more of a revenge film, meaning a formulaic body count film wherein none of the kills are particularly noteworthy.  I feel like I’m being a bit lenient with my rating, but I did grow quite fond of the Lisa character and wouldn’t mind seeing her in a better movie.  I truly wish I liked this better given there aren’t too many werewolf films out there, good ones at least, plus revenge films aren’t too distinctive on their own, so this should’ve been perfect for a genre mash-up.  Oh well…1/13/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Blood and Money  >>>EH/OK

Dead Dicks  >>>OK/G

Echo Boomers  >>>OK

Freaky Friday (2018)  >>>EH

Greener Grass  >>>B

Spirit Camp  >>>EH/OK

---Sean O.
1/15/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment