Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Part 4)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you haven’t seen the intro from my entry dated 1/26/19 (it’s in my archives whenever you want to read it), I’m no longer going to review every single movie I see.  I’m going to review one, with the occasional bonus, and just give ratings for the rest from now on (unless I decide to pick it up again in the future).  You can always ask me why I gave the ratings for the films without reviews though (via comments or the e-mail addresses under the ‘About Me’ section).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Part 4)                      OK/G
I made it this far and this is seemingly the final season (although that’s what they say now) of this slightly dark variation concerning the teenage witch (played by Kiernan Shipka).  I wasn’t going to rewatch all three previous seasons before this, so I just read the synopsis for each episode on Wikipedia; plus there’s a recap of season three before the first episode, so I’m guessing what’s shown in that recap is obviously the most important.  With the exception of season two (or part, as seasons are labeled for this Netflix series), this series was fine enough for me (you can read my reviews of the first three seasons/parts in the archives---www.abcreviewarchive.blogspot.com); not fine in the sense I’ll buy a t-shirt, poster, or any other memorabilia promoting the show, or join a Facebook group devoted to it, but fine in the sense I enjoyed enough of it to kind of recommend and the only time I’ll ever discuss it is if mentioned.  I did watch all four seasons/parts after all and the only time I truly felt like I forced myself to continue was during season/part 2.  This part consisted of eight episodes, each one involving an Eldritch terror with plans on destroying anyone and everything, not just this fictional town of Greendale and its inhabitants.  That did make things a bit interesting in having a different terror each episode, but the episodes are all roughly an hour (like the other seasons/parts) and sometimes they actually feel so (TV episodes should rarely ever be an hour a piece unless it’s an anthology show).  Like I said though, I never really felt like I forced myself to continue after each episode.  If they do actually decide to end it here, and I think they should (lest it overstay its mild welcome), I think it concluded fair enough, some might even say a bit poignantly.  1/2/2021

Bonus reviews:

Shortcut                                                                       OK
A handful of teenagers are riding on a bus in the countryside before being hijacked by an escaped prisoner with a gun after the driver takes a (you guessed it…) shortcut.  [It’s an Italian film, but the accents say it might be England or Scotland or somewhere in that region; it’s not really important wherever it takes place though].  The prisoner is the least of their worries when they eventually come across a creature that resembles an alien vampire (imagine a distorted version of the vampire in The Night Flier, an underrated Stephen King adaptation AND vampire movie).  Comparisons to Jeepers Creepers 2 are inevitable at first (I saw at least one Rotten Tomatoes reviewer mention it), but the action eventually exits the bus as the characters escape to an underground facility nearby.  The first half of this film seemed promising; the second half is where it loses steam and gets a bit lame.  I didn’t dislike this film, it was okay (hence my rating), it just wasn’t ultimately as fun as other creature features of yesteryear.  1/4/2021

House of Purgatory                                                     OK/G
Somehow this film from 2016 bypassed my radar.  It’s not available on Netflix and it couldn’t have been available at Redbox because I likely would’ve at least used a free code to rent it, even if it sounded like a run-of-the-mill direct-to-video title (which this one does).  I came across it after seeing a post on a page I follow on social media, as is often the case for titles I’m unaware of, and saw that it was available on Tubi (meaning free), so viewing it I did.  In it, a small group of people on Halloween decide to drive to a haunted house that promises money for each level completed.  There’s certainly something shady about this place, as is often the case in these movies.  For one, they seem to be the only car at the place on Halloween night (uh-huh) and the admission is free since it’s Halloween night (uh-huh).  Once inside, the deepest secrets are revealed to each person and none of them are original at all, but this movie somehow managed to keep my attention during its barely 75-minute runtime.  Not a great film by any measure, but I sure enjoyed it more than many other films that didn’t bypass my radar!  1/4/2021

Other movies I've seen and their ratings (see above):

Alone (2020)  >>>EH/OK

The Call (2020)  >>>EH/OK
            (dir. Timothy Woodward Jr.)

Koko-di Koko-da  >>>EH

Love and Monsters  >>>OK/G

Open Grave  >>>EH/OK

The Platform  >>>OK/G
            (Netflix)

---Sean O.
1/5/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment